Yamaha AES800
Yamaha AES800

Other Shape Guitar from Yamaha belonging to the AES series.

MGR/vanwarp MGR/vanwarp

« Yamaha AES800 »

Published on 12/07/01 at 15:00
Before buying this guitar I tried many Strats, Les Pauls, Teles and others. I did find several guitars in the $1200 range that really impressed me but they did not sufficiently sway me to pay the extra cash when the AES800 had a very cool "retro" Les Paul look and feel, and a captivating sound I was looking for at less than half the price. I wanted to get a second guitar something a little different than my Fender Strat...

The AES800 was listed at $899 Canadian funds and I ended up walking away with it for $450 (tax included)!

The very best feature on the AES800 is the massive-sounding pick-ups: 2 DiMarzio Q-100 hum cancelling soap bar style humbuckers.

The Q100's are very quiet. They are very much like P90's. The switch/knob design allows you to probe a wide variety of captivating sounds. You will find some excellent tones no matter what style of music you play. This is a great “can do it all” type of guitar with very useful sounds through every amp I experimented on - Fenders, Marshals, Tech 21.

The realtime phase control knob feature will add some interesting colors to your sound on both the clean and dirty channels of your amp. What I have discovered is that on a clean I prefer setting the phase knob at 1 while my daughter prefers position 10 always. With distortion, we both prefer position 10. Setting the knob somewhere in between does not appear to be a very practical option, perhaps an on/off switch would have been a better design solution for this in and out of phase feature?

Another minor detail of very little concern is that the fret ends could have been smoother.

Cherry Sunburst finish with mahogany-veneered Alder body. Maple bolt on neck with Rosewood fretboard and 22 medium jumbo sized frets. Chrome hardware and string through body design with six individual tailpieces mounted in the body. The tuners are nice and smooth. Tune-O-Matic Bridge.

The control knobs are: 5-way pickup selector, master volume, master tone and a realtime phase control knob. In position #2 only, the inside coils are hot and the phase knob brings the outer bridge coil in and out of phase.

I can’t say anything bad about the overall quality of this guitar.

The best way to describe this guitar is to mix the best features of a Strat and a Les Paul together, and “voila” the inception of an AES800.

I love the way the guitar looks and the neck feels awesome, very comfortable to me.

I am most happy with this guitar. It was an incredible deal!