Yamaha AES800
Yamaha AES800

Other Shape Guitar from Yamaha belonging to the AES series.

MGR/Peter McStrange MGR/Peter McStrange

« Yamaha AES 800 »

Published on 04/17/02 at 15:00
Bought in Taiwan for approx. 400 US dollars.
I wanted a first electric guitar that would last me for a while, was affordable and that sounded good and played well. I wanted a Les Paul Gibson but it was almost twice the price and not twice the sound.

It looks sooo good and has clear individual note sounds. It really is a cross between the Fender strat' and a Gibson (according to my fundi friends who say it is a beaut' axe). It plays easily and the dials are easy to adjust. The through body stringing is a neat feature, the whole guitar vibrates when you play it. The bridge is easily adjustable. Best is its ergonomic design, the back is sculpted to fit into your body, so comfy to play.

The phase knob doesn't really seem to do much, an on off switch would probably have worked better. Fret ends could be a bit more rounded and the pick protectionplate is a little loose, handy though for sticking my pick when I'm not using it. Also it is seriously heavy, but that is prtobably an asset.

Overall good. The small things mentioned before can be sorted out, how many guitars play great straight off the shelf? this one did.

No contest. This is a beauty for people like me who want quality and affordability. It strums beautifully, great for rhythm work and has great individual notes for lead work. I'll get there one day