Line 6 Spider 112
Line 6 Spider 112
MGR/Robert McCarty MGR/Robert McCarty

« Line 6 Spider 112 »

Publié le 06/17/04 à 15:00
I bought the amp at Steves Music in Sacramento. I was on a very fixed budget but I needed an amp, yet I wanted something more than just a tiny practice amp. I was a little discouraged because all of the amps were great quality, but had a price tag to match. The owner directed me to the Spider 112 and said great things about it. I was floored that the amp sounded so good, but yet for so very little price, $200.

I like the fact that it has several effects buit into the unit, like flange, chorus, reverb, delay and more. While it has the factory presets thaty you can have a blast with for days, it also allows you to have as the user to program settings that you like so you are not boxed in, creativley. Even the clean sound with a tinge of reverb and chorus has a sound that comes extremly close to a tube sound. We all wish we could have those tube amps, but to those who have to hold on to those desires for a short time, this solid state unit need not be ashamed. The crunch effect (distortion) can make anyone who knows a couple of power chords almost feel like (with a little practice), they could be Angus Young! I can say that for the price, you will not find better quality.

The control of the effects are a little difficult to control with any kind of consistency. Especially when going between effects on any one of the four channels from the foot pedal. It takes a little too long to get the settings down. They are not as intuitive as I would like to see. I would have like to have seen an ovverride or to completely cut the effects if desired. The chrous & flange sound a little thin if used at the half way point or more. Below that mark they are great!

It is a solid unit that has some weight to it. The construction is superior, so you dont have to worry so much about inadvertenly bumping into things and scarring your amp. The mesh in front is thick so if somethings snags it, it wont automatically tear like I have seen on other oricey brands. This is the one aspect that jumped out at me at first id the quality of the unit is evident right when you lay your eyes on this baby. It is further confirmed when you actually try to lift the badboy.

It would be great if those of us working stiffs who either are on our way to becoming rock stars, or just like to pretend a couple of hours day could pick out any amp we wanted. If money as no object, then we all would go for the biggest baddest rack system we could find. Reality suggests this isnt practical, so sometimes we settle for what is reasonable in our own lives and we pick something that makes our heart flutter a little less. The funny thing is when I tried this unit out, and when I got this amp home and let the buyers impulse wear down a bit, I didnt feel as if I setteled. I feel as if I got a great amp for a great price. Funny thing is I can still play loud enough with this unit to annoy the neighbors (hehe). Rock on!