Yamaha AEX500
Yamaha AEX500
Armand1980 Armand1980

«  Of hidden assets »

Published on 05/19/12 at 03:15
Guitar "Thinline" made in Taiwan in the early 2000s.
Maple neck, rosewood fingerboard 20 Cases
Mini-humbucker neck pickup
Micro Piezo dual band
Preamp with 3 band EQ and battery status indicator
A volume knob and a knob "blender" to select the neck pickup or piezo, or a mix of both.
9V battery box behind, discreet and easy access.
Two vents in f.
Originality: This can be mounted on steel guitar strings electric or folk, and also nylon strings through the tailpiece versatile. I often had both configurations, and it works surprisingly well.

Before connecting: there is a very nice guitar, very balanced.
The cutaway obviously facilitates access to acute, the handle end is almost flat.
Note that this guitar is extremely light, a treat to play standing up.
A pretty good resonance and projection to the fineness of the body.
Its shape may sound like a Les Paul Junior, good grip.

And now you plug: I said earlier that you could install steel or nylon strings. I'll edit my opinions with steel strings.
With the Mini-humbucker, easily obtained a clear lens, we can change that by using the setting of the amplifier or console in case of direct connection. This gives her an easy drinking, but the most demanding will still find it hard to be frankly met. What is my case.
It is possible to install a deep draft to approach a more jazz, but the result still lacks character for my taste.
And now the piezo ... eeeuuuh how to say?! This is a piezo what! The sound is dry, 3-band EQ is barely enough to fix things. With a deep draft we will approach a folk sound but still slammed with piezo signature. I think this needs a good amp for electric-acoustic guitar, with compressor and EQ to the task.
The piezo is already more interesting with nylon strings, we will find a more balanced, easier to manage. However attention to Feedback ...

Ultimately this guitar suits me perfectly for a very specific uses and rock.
I play only with the overdrive of my Boss Blues Driver 2, with a high gain that I send in a Laney GC 120C (2x12 "). I get sound disgusting, very rock and very dynamic, bold and responsive as I can easily go on feedback. I do a lot of stage with this guitar, and I find it very reliable, I can do a set of 45 minutes without me re-tuning. With its vintage look, it hides its strengths.
I played with for 10 years now. I first purchased for the project Jazz and Bossa Nova, nylon rope, without being convinced hyper. Until I discovered him his aspiration Noise Rock Sludge ... and then I never left.