Yamaha AEX500
Yamaha AEX500
Mikka Grytviken Mikka Grytviken

«  It would take almost anything ... »

Published on 10/15/14 at 06:49
Straddling an electro-folk and a half box jazz.
Micro Piezo and preamp with three band EQ
Micro magnetic type mini-humbucker in the neck.
Channel not far from that of a Stratocaster with a fairly flat radius.
Volume and mixer between the signal from the piezo and the magnetic pickup.
Mechanical head with oil bath of very good quality.

The handle is very comfortable as is often the sleeves Yamaha.
The ergonomics is quite nice with a successful balance. This guitar is easy to play sitting as standing with a rather light weight. Access to acute is very correct. I did not encounter any difficulty in getting a nice sound although I recognize that there is a little easier in the genre but this guitar has the defects of his qualities ... see below.

I use it mainly in a register or to jazz sounds of electro types or types of electric box. In the first case I plugged directly into the sound system, preferably via a direct box, the second in a tube amp Fender Blackface mind.
In any case I can get the sound you want even though I recognize that the lack of a tone knob is a bit annoying for electric jazz sounds.
Personally lowering good treble on the amp and by the amount of media required I get to have the sound that I like, that is not too round with some slamming bass and defined more or less mind George Benson, Ronny Jordan, Norman Brown. I have 11/52 equipped with flat net.

After nearly ten years of regular use, but not necessarily intensive this guitar stands well.
I had before it various Epiphone Joe Pass which all have a big disappointment!
For less money this little hybrid instrument proves comfortable, highly effective, versatile, reliable and sounds beautifully. It lacks a tone knob to be almost perfect!
The value for money is very good.
I'm very happy!
It can even be used for blues or rock.