Vox Satchurator

«  The sound of Satriani in a box »

Published on 07/21/14 at 09:53
Distortion Pedal Joe Satriani signature
Tone controls, gain, volume
Selector "pad" which preserves the dynamics of the pedal when placed behind a wah
Switch "More" for more gain
Robust metal housing
Nice red finish with knobs "chicken head"

Very good build quality and great price (bought € 85 on a well-known German website)

Very easy to use, plug into the clean channel of an amp (preferably tube, but I'll come back ...)
The manual is not essential, little more is found in the setting used by Joe (which is perfect, for once I find a recommended setting that sounds really :))

Here are the most important: the Son!
Well it's a signature pedal therefore necessarily typical ... and that's exactly what I wanted, the sound of Satriani of the great time, that he has now found since he came back to Marshall! (I was not a fan of any sound he had with his peavey jsx, more modern but downright colder ...)
Plugged into a clean amp Marshall typed lamps with an Ibanez JS 1000 it sounds warm, full sound enough, surprising for a distortion pedal in ... on the other hand I've been testing in a small combo modeling, it does not make all the same, its just a little while to narrow ... or the importance of testing this pedal on your gear before you buy it because the sound quality depends a lot on what it is connected!

In terms of gain, it largely what it takes to play satriani, but mostly it sustain ... something that I just have not found with most pedals I've tried or owned!
The pedal is silent with the gain until 14h after it blows a little, I use it in the loop of a boss ns-2 which completely eliminates this breath.

The tone knob is very (too?) Reagent. Its range is roughly between 9am (satch boogie) and 11 (crushing day), below it is too dark, too loud above.

The switch is more useful to have a surplus of gain medium and in the transition from rhythm to solo.

In terms of versatility, it remains in the rock / instrumental rock records, do not expect to play metal with it has a lot of gain but rather voicing his medium is not suitable ;)

I have this pedal for a few hours, and it has inspired me to post a review live as I liked it (although the stuff I've seen past lol)
To compare several other pedals I've owned or had a test: ds1 boss (or never understood was the sound of Satriani in there ...), different blackstar (DistX, dual HT, HT not metal ... bad at all, a very good rhythmic sound but lacked a little something for his lead), Wampler Pinnacle (not bad, but a little synthetic I preferred the sound of the distortion channel of my amp), I find the Satchurator more credible and a good complement to its saturated my jvm!