G&L Legacy
G&L Legacy

STC-Shaped Guitar from G&L belonging to the USA series.

MGR/G&L Lover MGR/G&L Lover

« G and L Legacy »

Published on 06/23/04 at 15:00
Purchased (used) at Atomic Music in College Park MD. Traced the serial number back to a 1995 production date. Paid $550 (hardshell case included).

I had been shopping for a strat for several months. I played multiple Fender US and Japanese models over this time period and while they were decent, I never felt overly impressed with any of these guitars. I had read excellent things about the G&L's but I'd never seen one until I noticed a Legacy sitting on the rack at Atomic music. After 10 minutes of putting this guitar through it's paces and looking for any nasty blemishes (none were found) I bought it without reservation.

THE TONE is incredible! Guitar Player magazine reviewed these guitars a while back and raved about how the pickups were truly a vintage recreation of the original 50's strat pickups. Though I've never actually played a 50's original strat, I can easily say these pickups produced the sweetest, fullest and most dulcet tones I've ever heard coming out of a single coil hands down. None of the $1000+ Fenders I played sounded even remotely this full and sweet.

The G&L Dual Fulcrum vibrato bridge also works extremely well. I've smacked the crap out of this whammy bar and the guitar stays in tune very well...it did put a smidge of graphite powder in the nut grooves in order to enhance this.

I didn't play one sooner...I wouldn't have wasted my time trying out Fenders.

Everything about this guitar seems perfect to me. The alder body is a beautiful 3-tone sunburst with a white pick guard, hard rock maple neck with rosewood fingerboard. The fit and finish is first rate. The guitar is entirely American made and ever piece (except for the locking machine heads) were hand crafted in the G&L manufacturing plant in Fullerton CA. All the wood pieces are hand worked...no automated machinery is used to craft any of the parts of G&L instruments. As soon as you hold this guitar, you just feel the quality and craftsmanship.

If you are thinking about a strat of any ilk, please do yourself a favor and try out the G&L Legacy. You wont find a better instrument made by Fender anywhere nears this price range. Don't take my word for it...read the reviews here: http://www.glguitars.com/reviews/Legacy.asp

BTW: If you're not aware, the "L" in G&L stands for "Leo"...Leo Fender that is. He started G&L in 1980 after he left MusicMan.