Orban 422 A Compressor
Orban 422 A Compressor
Publié le 02/28/10 à 20:58
The Orban 422 A Compressor is a single channel, analog compressor, limiter, and de-esser. I don't know what type of connections it has since the one I've used was racked up, but I'm fairly certain that it has XLR connections for both input and output, although it could have some other connections as well. The 422 A will take up two spaces in a traditional rack mount.

The configuration of the Orban 422 A Compressor is a bit interesting for a dynamic processor, but is nonetheless simple to use. For parameters it has knobs for input attenuation, ratio, attack, release, gate threshold, output, gain, and de-ess. The unit also has metering for gain reduction and output level. A manual would definitely be very hard to find, but one isn't necessary anyway.

The Orban 422 A Compressor definitely isn't the best sounding compressor in the world, but it also isn't the worst. It doesn't have a lot of punch or clarity, but will do the basic job. I've used the 422 for compressing a whole slew of different drums, but for nothing else. While I liked the amount of control that I have over your sound, it doesn't excite your original sound like some compressors do. It is nice to be able to de-ess with it, and it's best feature is the fact that it is pretty versatile. However, the sound just doesn't blow me away and I would rather use compressors that do.

The Orban 422 A Compressor is a really a rare piece of gear. After using it in a recording studio I went to do some research about it to see if I could find out a thing or two about it, but really didn't find much. However, everything about it is pretty self explanatory when it comes to actually using it. I wouldn't recommend trying to seek out of these, as it just isn't worth it, but if you do come across one at a very cheap price, I'd at least recommend taking a second look.