Moog Music Sub Phatty user reviews
3 of 3 people found this review helpful
- 2 octaves keyboard, 25 keys
No effects (reverb and delay to provide another to dub eg)
16 presets, which can be crushed to put your own settings in memory (this is for me one of the highlights, as this is rare in the analog part) .. By manipulating three keyboards on stage, I saw no train to find the correct settings or have the modular cabling!
No substain in the package, but a good 16 euros was a pedal ROLAND base.
The sub phatty pretty offers connectivity options (jack audio in / out, USB MIDI ...)
Attention is MONOPHONIC .. so not possible to agreements (though playing with the frequencies can obtain and store just harmonies third fourth fifth ..)
- Analog first for me, it's pretty simple to understand .. the longest is to test all the combinations you can do ..
The manual is very simple but in ENGLISH (who speaks a little English or force use of technical manuals and equipment!)
The record is made; illustrate each part of the keyboard configuration examples are given to enable us to see in real time what happens
EDIT is super simple .. as easy and fast as a NORD.
- by roots reggae with a touch of DUB, I added the phatty sub (for appearance heavy dub) a NORD ELECTRO 4D and KORG PA 3X ... And I'm really satisfied with this backline that really helps cover any need.
Talking "realism" av a synth does not make sense, since it is not in the "imitation of acoustic instruments" .. This is not the goal!
However the sounds are terrible .. and in a very large electronic registry so .. For hip hop music ELECTRO DUB EXPERMENTAL c ... heavy .. (but for the folk rock or variety ... . I do not see the MOOG!)
- Overall Opinion
- machine arrived last 4 days, I look forward now to associate the DELAY and another to ring it all ..
I greatly balked demos net between MINIBRUTE Arturia (460 eur!) The famous Korg MS20 MINI (modular cabling but not talk about it) and the MOOG .. I do not regret the 860 euros! (But I would still even know what gives MiniBrute for half the price, although the latter has no preset!)
For the money ... it was a sound quality that holds up, the sound MOOG ...
3 of 4 people found this review helpful
- Moog site will be more adapted to give the specifications.
The control panel is well structured: Preset> Modulation> Ocsilateurs> Mixer> Envelopes> Output
I find it clear, simple and logical. A good start to begin the analog ...
No external power, good point!
And it is very personal, but I find it very beautiful.
- The appearance of a button = one function is comfortable and makes immediate and intuitive control. Especially since the knobs in questions seem of high quality and are very pleasant to handle. They are accurate, "sweet", regular, with well calibrated resistance. There are hidden functions (see test Synthwalker) to be stored. They are also accessible through the plugin editor, which makes good service.
About the Editor (VST / AU), I find it well done, clear and effective. The plugin allows you to save presets, which pet to save time. Nevertheless, it sometimes interferes with MIDI controls in Logic Pro X, which can create some surprises. Settings in the DAW are expected.
The keyboard feels solid, velocity sensitive, but after touch. Body (largely metal part) and made (metal and plastic) off a good solid feel. The expertise is Moog appointment.
- Sounds right for me. It may sound low in fat, be very acid and be heard on a medium / high register. Envelopes and filters are fast, allowing percussive sounds. The sub does the job well and strengthens the lower spectrum. The sound possibilities are clearly extensive and not limited to low and sub. This synth like roar under the effect of HardSync / Resonance / Multidrive ... foot. Search the sound is real pleasure on this synth, and surprises are expected ... The potential for sure.
This is my first Moog and I must admit being a little disappointed (I said "a little", huh ...) after some use me, because I expected to take a slap, Moog legend oblige. It has not been the case. My expectation was probably unrealistic. The use and mastery that I have the craft are certainly involved. Grasshopper must train a little more ...
There is no built-in effects.
- Overall Opinion
- I use it for 4 months. € 900 bought new, I do it again this choice.
What I like most is its "efficiency", one branch, we play, we rule with all (or most) settings in hand ... He next immediate, direct, sensual. No menus, sub menus ... And it sounds good anyway!
What I like least, integrating the IT world, well done but still perfectible. Backup presets without a computer impossible. No screen.
12 of 18 people found this review helpful
- Very easy to use for someone who already practice the synthesis.
Manual in English, very clear, 30 minutes was go around and is ready to start.
Editing sound is very pleasant thanks to the number of knobs that make this synth its main asset for its price.
In addition a lot of the settings available Packs mode shift and Amos occuppe to update this mode frequently (why these commands are not written on the board I think, what appeared to be a negative test for Audiofanzine)
- I can not compare the sound to anything because this is my first analog synth and a comparison operator or Massive would be an insult.
Regarding the response of the keyboard it suits me, not knowing how to play the piano I will not comment on the point, but to my taste the quality of the keys is ample.
The sounds of the VCO are very good, excellent stability of those above.
The Multidrive brings a huge plus for people who want to have the Moog sound avecun small coterie Trashy more.
The VCF is ... how to say ... is the magical resonance can tour without background risk of unpleasant sound (I never used the resonance more than 2-3/10 Operator on because I think the horrible sound, its'm almost earache I would say, the opposite of the Sub Phatty.)
By the resonance and multidrive thoroughly on a triangular wave roar beautiful effects obtained by playing with the filter cutoff.
The envelope of the VCF and VCA slap very well for percussive sounds style.
When the modulations are certainly limited, but it can still be a big variety of sounds, playing with the assignment of the LFO on Waveshape can get closer to the sound of FM synthesis.
- Overall Opinion
- I bought this synth yesterday and I did not pick up.
This is the first synth that I put my fingers so the comparison is impossible, but I am 100% satisfied.
I remake that choice without hesitation, because for me this synth has everything I'm looking for, that is to say;
- Midi Over USB (For me it was an important argument)
- An impeccable quality of workmanship.
- A very good sound quality.
- A number of knobs that can have fun without taking head.
- The Moog filter coupled to Multidrive which allows for the Moog sound with a little more character.
- Envelopes that good spanking for percussive sounds.
- The price / quality ratio I am very satisfied, compared to Minibrute that my taste seemed super cheapos to the touch (I did not hear the sound)
- The presets.
If I had to say anything bad about this synth I can say 2 things, 16 presets is a bit light for people who play live piano (but apparently the app that will come in ten days it will be possible to replace quickly via computer), but personnaly do not mind me tremendously. And to my great surprise by opening the box I saw that the USB cable was not provided with .... Yes yes hard to say anything bad about this product that is in my opinion a very good investment.
However, as said above this is my first synth so consider this.
More Amos, seen on video Musikmesse meets the Moog forum has all your questions and is currently dévelloppé management program preset available in BETA on Mac only now (What I could not try because I'm on Windows 7). The final version should be available by June 15 on Mac and Windows.