Mutronics Mutator user reviews
If you are not satisfied by the reviews below, feel free to request a user review for this product
- The Mutronics Mutator is a uniquely designed filter with a whole ton of cool features. It is a stereo unit, so it has two separate channels, and is made up of purely analog components. I'm not sure of the connections that it has since the one that I have used was already pre racked in the studio that I used it in. It is a rack mountable piece of gear and will take up two spaces.
- The Mutronics Mutator is split up into a few different sections. It has two main sections for envelope follower and LFO, and then has a three unnamed section with a few other parameters. The first section (env follower) has three parameters to work with while the LFO section has the same in terms of knobs, but a few more switches. There are also general parameters for envelope sweep, cut off, and resonance. It also a bunch of other switches to work with to control different features. I've never found it a problem to use the Mutronics Mutator, but since this is a unique piece of gear, if you're unfamiliar with filtering I'd suggest having the manual handy.
- Sound Quality
- The sounds heard from the Mutronics Mutator are versatile, unique, and down right awesome. You would usually see this kind of filtering for use with synthesizers, but this is for general audio and can really provide you with some interesting tones. I've used the Mutator on vocals, electric guitars, and even some drums on occasion. This is a really creative piece of equipment, so what you use it for could be totally different from what I might find it useful for. It has the versatility in terms of parameters to adapt and be used in experimental ways. The Mutator is made up of great parts, so it has a really clean sound and everything does exactly what it is supposed to do.
- Overall Opinion
- The Mutronics Mutator is definitely one of the coolest pieces of outboard gear that I have had experience with. I've only seen the one that I have used, so it isn't like these are readily available in any stretch of the term. If you can find one for sale I would imagine that it would cost a great deal of money to acquire it, especially considering that the studio that I used this in was the biggest that I've been in. If money is no object and you find one of these available, I can pretty much guarantee that you will be happy with having this around!
User reviews in other languages
- - What are the effects or types of effects available?
double filter, gate with LFO, envelope follower and bypass.
- What technology is used? (Analog, digital, tube ...)
- Are they edited? Via an editor Mac / PC?
- What is the connection? (Audio / MIDI)
6.35 + + midi cv gate
- Is this a rack or rack-mount model?
rack heavy and solid.
- - The general configuration is it simple?
Simple and it took over easily
- Publishing of sound effects or is it easy?
I have not used the gate and some other functions but I did not have long
- The manual is clear and sufficient? ...
I would have to open it to tell. For now I have not needed but I'll need it to function gate.
- Sound Quality
- - Effects are they effective, responsive and realistic enough?
This is the sound, sorry SOUND filter I was looking for: soft, clear, warm, powerful, creative and catchy.
- Which instruments do you use?
- Which ones you prefer, you hate?
The link function is convenient and the syncro ext. The envelope follower, LFO and cutoff and reso are accurate and are served by large knobs to turn smooth and pleasant.
And it sounds that's all.
- Overall Opinion
- - How long have you use it?
- What is so special that you like most and least?
The best: the sound and precision
- Have you tried many other models before buying it?
Sherman v1 and v2 rack and filters of ESX, a KAOSS pad, a juno 106, a Sunsyn, an Ion, a north rack, a MV8000, a DX200 , a FireworX, a v-synth and drum machine.
- How would you rate the quality / price?
This is the best as a competitor with / complement the Sherman v1 or v2 v1 is knowing that the more fat than v2, but less controllable / accurate.
Paid € 825 in Germany and on Ebay with MIDI. I missed 1-1000 and € to 1100 €. It is between 1,200 and € 1,500 in the States or on Audiofanzine. It anything, it varies from one to two.
I'm very happy with the price / quality ratio that I found and I would not let more than € 1100 for it. But it's worth it when it is the sound we are looking for.
- With experience, you do again this choice? ...
YES for sure.