Create an account

or

Thread Focusrite Control for scarlet 18i8 gen2

• 1 comment
  • 2 participants
  • 2 followers
1 Focusrite Control for scarlet 18i8 gen2
Hello all,
New to focusrite Scarlet and Control and USb recording. Going okay so far but ahuge learning to curve to get ALL inputs outputs, licensing, permissions, apps, iLOK, and magical dragon and unicorns aligned. I've actually got some tracks!

My question is...how do I monitor what the DAW is recording? All I see in Focusrite control is "Hardware Input" and "DAW playback". In "custom" settings...I load 8 tracks of each...and often have no sound at all.

Focusrite interface sounds great...but I want to monitor the live recording tracks from DAW (either Avid Pro Tools first or Reaper).

Also...the Control window doesn't fit on my screen. Can't see the bottom buttons of DAW Playback settings.

Thank you in advance....from a noob!
Hi Steve,

I'd like to try and help with this one and hope that I've understood your predicament. There's a couple of different ways that you can monitor what is coming in directly to your DAW.

1. You can direct monitor the hardware inputs in Focusrite Control so that you hear the signal that is coming in directly by setting up a custom mix on the Output Routing page. You can do this for Monitor Outputs 1 & 2, headphone outputs 3 & 4, headphone outputs 5 & 6 or a combination of these. To create the custom mix you would then select which Hardware Inputs you would like to hear. For example if you had 2 microphones or 2 instruments plugged in to inputs 1 & 2 on the Scarlett 18i8 then you would set up a Custom Mix which Hardware Input 1 and Hardware Input 2 to this custom mix. Once you've done this you would now hear the direct signal that is coming into the interface.

However, most would go for the 2nd option of monitoring directly in your DAW. To make sure that Focusrite Control is set up correctly for this it's best to go to File > Presets > System Playback which will route DAW Playback 1 & 2 to all of the monitor and headphone outputs. Then in Pro Tools First when you've created your audio track which is monitoring the correct inputs you just need to switch input monitoring ON in Pro Tools First in the Edit windows by clicking on the I (next to the record button) which will turn it green. You should then be able to hear whatever signal is coming into the inputs.

Alternatively to do this in Reaper you just need to click the megaphone icon once you have created your audio track and this will now monitor the signal that is coming in to that specific track. You will know its the correct button as when you however over it it will say RECORD MONITORING.

I hope this helps. If you still require assistance I would recommend opening a support ticket with us directly by navigating to https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/requests/new

Best regards,

Alex Bull // Focusrite Technical Support