or
Create an account

or

Thread Focusrite Scarlett users - How do you record internal audio?

• 3 replies
  • 2 participants
  • 2 followers
1 Focusrite Scarlett users - How do you record internal audio?
Hello. In the past week, I have had to purchase a new PC for the first time in like a decade. (Yes... I know.) With that, I had to make a decision on whether to go with an internal souncard or an external Audio Interface for the new computer. I went with a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6. From a playback / output perspective, it seems to work well. But, I cannot figure out how to record something that's internal (that is, not coming into the unit from an outside source). For example, if I want to record the audio that I hear when playing a video on my PC (Youtube, DVD player, or otherwise). With my old PC, I had an internal Creative Labs Soundblaster card. In the mixer settings/options, I could choose things like "wav" or "what you hear" as an input source for all recordings. It allowed the DAW or any recording device in the PC to record a direct feed of whatever audio the computer was playing. It worked great, in perfect replicated quality. With these Focusrite Scarlett units, your inputs are chosen/routed through their "Scarlett MixControl" software. I cannot figure out a way to choose any internally played audio (from a video, mps, or wav - for example) as the audio source to record. Is there a way to do this directly with these Scarlett units without some convoluted form of running wires outside the box and then back in again? It appears that I can only choose the physical Focusrite unit inputs as an audio source.

Any advice would be much appreciated. I have watched online tutorials and have read the manual. But, I cannot figure out a way to do this for the life of me. Thanks, in advance, for any feedback.
Hey,

I don't think this is possible without external routing and second the pc drivers don't except multiple programs so you can't play from one program and re-record with another.

But then again i could be wrong. Perhaps Simon Focusrite can answer this question in detail.

- Angelie

It's not about what you got to use ....    but how you use what you got...

[ Post last edited on 12/18/2014 at 11:31:12 ]

Thanks for the feedback, Angelie. The irony is that my 12 year-old previous PC with only a Creative Labs SoundBlaster Audigy 2 soundcard could do this easily. Sometimes with all of our "advancements" in technology, I find that the new stuff can't do things that the old stuff could. This is a prime example.
I know Ben. A long time ago i had a soundblaster too. One with a wavetable synth and memory banks for synth sampling.
That card could also re-record

But i guess those are the old days.

Most cards outside can't do that anymore
Perhasps with a 3th party program it can...

- Angelie

It's not about what you got to use ....    but how you use what you got...