or
Create an account

or

Thread Scarlett 18i20 and using additional back inputs

• 5 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 3 followers
1 Scarlett 18i20 and using additional back inputs
So here's what it comes down to: I need 2 more microphone inputs. So, 10 all together. Right now I just plug the 18i20 in my pc via usb and use the front 8 inputs. Simple enough. I've read stuff online that I can use these inputs on the back. Im fairly confused by it. I was referred to buy some $500 piece of equipment to utilize the other inputs. What do I have to buy to use at least 2 of the inputs on the back...I think it's inputs 9-18 maybe?

If someone could put it into simple terms I'd really appreciate it. I never use the mix control software, but If I have to I will.
Thanks for any help!
Hi

The 18i20 has 2 inputs on the front and 6 on the back giving you 8 inputs total.

If you like to add 2 more mic inputs ypu need some kind of convertor. For example and xlr mic preamp to digital toslink / coax so you can use those ports on the back.

The piece of equipment you referring too is the so called octopre ( danamic).
This piece of equipment gives you 8 mic inputs extra when it is linked via the adat port on the back. Like ou already mentioned it is a lot of money if you only need 2 extra mic inputs.

A bit cheaper ( and so is the quality) is the behringer ada8000 still giving you 8 mic / line inputs extra. ( around 230 euos) which also uses the adat port on the back of 18i20.

Personally i think a stereo converter to digital and a ultra small mini mixer is the cheapest way to do it. But then in time when you need more channels it starts all over again.

Perhaps the behringer ( with or without midas preamps is the best solution for you)
The one with the midas preamps is more expensive

- Angelie

It's not about what you got to use ....    but how you use what you got...

[ Post last edited on 07/21/2015 at 08:48:20 ]

If I get the behringer ada8000 would I need to get anything else? Any converters? Just from looking on ebay I can get it cheap and have 8 more inputs potentially. I'm thinking thats a great option. It takes some tweaking in "Mix Control" to get those other inputs running doesn't it?
Thanks for the help!
The only thing you need are 2 optic fiber toslink cables. The converters are buildin.

So plug in and go.

The extra adat ports will be available in any daw without making changes to the softmixer.

- Angelie

Note: just check the behringer site for product specs.

By using 2 cables the behringer can also be used as output device....

[ Post last edited on 07/21/2015 at 12:41:36 ]

Hi guys,

If connecting an external channel strip to your 18i20 via ADAT, then you will need to ensure that the sync source on the channel strip is set to 'Internal', the sync source within Scarlett Mix Control is set to 'ADAT', and the sample-rate for both units match the session you're working in.

If you need any further help, let us know.

Simon // Focusrite Technical Support
Oh i know i did forgetting something to mention.
Your right: when using the behringer with your interface it should be the master and your audio interface should be set to slave ( external sync)

Thank you for mentioning this Simon because it is a very importent detail.

[ Post last edited on 07/24/2015 at 08:51:52 ]