or
Create an account

or

Thread Distortion recording with Mbox

• 4 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 0 follower
1 Distortion recording with Mbox
I have been recording using Mbox for a few months now. I have the main outs of my Mackie Vls16 running into the R and L inputs of the Mbox. I am using a Lexicon Multi Effects unit, and I also have an ART DPS II preamp running into the Mixer Board.

OK... now to the problem.

Last night, I was recording tracks into Pro Tools LE and for some reason when I create a new track and record enable it, the sound is distorted and buzzy. And it is recording that way. It hasnt been doing that for months now and just started.

Now recently, working thru a book ( ProTools 6.4 -Ignite) I worked thru a chapter on setting I/O Paths and subpaths . Could I have changed something inadvertently that is causing this? Im hoping someone here can help because we know how helpful Digidesign can be. ;)

Thanks in advance

Henry :cry:
I'm just guessing: you have line in on your soundcard set to max, lower it down.
The Mbox is my only interface to my computer, would that make a difference? Ive read that there may be a USB issue that is causing the buzz and Ive also read that it may be a buffer issue.

Hopefully Ill be able to try thru process of elimination and solve this.

Thankx
:?
My bet is that you changed something while you were poking around. Rule of thumb- if the unwanted noise is distortion, buzz or hiss it's an analog problem. This will most likely be a level or impedence issue, as manowar suggested. If the noise is an obnoxious (and constant) crackling or popping noise, it's a digital issue, and it's either because you are running a level above 0db into your A/D converter as you're recording, or you have a buffer size issue. If it's just an occasional pop or click, in addition to the buffers or levels, check your IRQ interrupts.
The Axeman (##(===> Cuts From My New Blues CD
Thanx Axeman - From all of the options, after checking with Digidesign and other(gasp) forums (lol) I found that it is the dreaded USB issue that MBox seems to have in sessions that run after 30 min or so. I did check all of the levels and tested cables, and when I disconnected the USB cable and replaced it, the distortion stopped. ( How much did I pay for this thing? LOL)

Thanks for the help all......

Wingedfire :D