or
Create an account

or

Thread Audio interface basics / large diaphram condenbser mics / accoustic guitar mics

• 3 replies
  • 2 participants
  • 2 followers
1 Audio interface basics / large diaphram condenbser mics / accoustic guitar mics
Hi All - require some help and input - Thanks in advance to all who wish to comment on this excellent board.

QUESTIONS

Looking to set up a basic home rec studio.

1/ Why do I need an Audio Interface ? Isnt that what the soundcard in the PC is for ? - I Take it that these Audio interfaces basically are merely high specification soundcards that "Plug IN" and are much better quality than the PC soundcard ??

2/ Wahts the diff between a USB interfcae and a FIREWIRE ?

3/ For vocals I will need a Large diaphram mic, correct - anyone care to recommend a good one atound $300 / $ 150 ??

4/ For acoustic guitar ill need a different mic, but not a l;arge diaphram one ? Ive hear the SM58 (basic sure) is fine for accoustic guitar is that right if not which mics peak at the right levels for accoustic guitar ??

5/ I need only no simultaneous playing so I wont need a mixing board - is that right ??

6/ Will my Triton synth play OK into the Audio interface (it plays fin in the PC soundcard)

Please offer all opinions and advice its really appreciated.

Thanks again to all on this SUPERB board especially the moddies

Neil
Uhmmm

1. audio interfaces have better converters and better drivers than your pc sound card. The converters are for sound quality, and the drivers are for all software (like real-time effects). you're bound to get a really big delay( this is called latency) when you apply real-time effects as you're recording. and you'll probably have a delay between recording and playback. plus audio interfaces usually have more and better connectors. there are other considerations but that's probably the major part.

2. USB and firewire are two different technologies. Today's USB2 is about the same speed as Firwire. Some people prefere firewire for speed and dependability (especially on a mac) but firewire can also be a little more fragile to handle when plugging and unplugging devices.

3. YOu don't "need" a large diaphragm to record vocals but it is the norm.

4 you should be able to use the same mic for acoustic guitar and vocals and get great results.

5. You might not need a mixer...you'll see

6.yes it will play ok, and probably sound better when recorded

did i miss anything? did you check out this week's article on how to choose a mic?
Emmense respect Kon Tiki :bravo:

I will read the article I was with a local label - they dropped me

www.myspace.com/neilhardymusic -

cant get sorted with another gonna try on my own -= the clash in advice is staggering some guys say a sure 57 / 58 will do for both - the stusio i did my first demo with laghed whn I told him - he said A large diaph is essential for vox and UNSUITABLE for Good acoustic guitar you need a 400hz mic ??????

Another engineer laughed whwn I said i was going the Audio interface route and said they way to go is a16 track fostex or boss home rec studio with a hard drive.... Im so confused but thanks /.....

Your d'man
It's true everyone has their own opinion, and sometimes very different opinions. in the end you need to just go with somebody you trust, and see what works for you.