or
Create an account

or

Thread Need "Warm" sounding Mic,

• 9 replies
  • 9 participants
  • 0 follower
1 Need "Warm" sounding Mic,
Help anyone/everyone. I am in the market for a quality "warm" sounding microphone. I want to have that warm/fuzzy character from lead male/female vocals. I know valve mics are one of the best ways to go but there is so so many. I will have to start demoing these but can anyone give me their best/warmest mic in your opinion? Could you give me a few in each price ranges (above $1,000US, above $500, and below)
I think it really depends the preamp you use... what is your set up today? I mean what are the mics you are using and what is your preamp?
As far as my current set-up, I have an Aphex Tubessence 107 Preamp that I believe is fairly nice (any suggestions?) connected to dual FMR RNCs compressors. I only have two low end mics. A cheap CAD dynamic mic and an Oktava 319 condenser. The Oktava does quite well in general application but... that's why I am asking for your help.
This goes to a Delta 1010 card to my WinXP PC running Cubase SX 2.0. PC has AMD chip @ 2.0 gig speed (good) with 1 gig PC3700 RAM (awesome). My computer setup is almost flawless (can get very, very low latency w/o delay or clicks.
Other gear is/are: Tannoy SBM Monitors, Carver Power Amp, Behringer Headphone Amp w/ Sony monitor headphones, etc.

Please reply as to which mics fit each three of my price ranges.
Give an example of warm and fuzzy....Like Nat King Cole Unforgettable or like cause that is a Ribbon mic such as AEA (Audio Engineering Associates) R84
OR a gutsy and sizzley sound like Nickelback stuff. That could be a standard condenser with tube pre, or Tube condenser. Nuemann U87, Rode NTV, NTK valves, . There are a thousand of them.
T3 Studio Projects....etc..etc.
I use a U87 with an Avalon 737... you can basically get any sound you want out of the combo, but both items are over $2000. You may be able to rent them for short term use.
did i just read the word avalon?

*faints*
I have been using a Rode NT1 for the last couple of years. For under $500, its an all purpose large diaphram mic. I've used it on everything from vocals, a grand piano to a guitar amp. Rode also makes some high end mics (the Rode Classic) that I have rented and had great success with.
I have found that in the $500 to $1000 price range your best bets are going to be the Shure KSM-32, and maybe the Audio Technica AT3060. The 32 has that "wrap your arms around you, and give a big hug" sound for male vocals, but it also doesn't give up any of the pristine detail you would like for female, or instrumental tracks. As for the AT3060, it's a little newer to the market and has an integrated tube. The mic has some of the warm characteristics of the high end tube mics, but not quite the quality. I have never used this mic on anything other than vocals, so I'm not sure how versitle of mic it could be. As far as above $1000, I would go with the AT4060 tube mic, or any one of the Neumann mics(U87 and an Avalon pre is a great setup). There are a lot of other choices out there, and your best bet would probably be to try to audition some mics, and let your own ears decide what your looking for.
What's the deal with Avalon? I hear a lot of folks who hate it. They say their stuff sounds "boring". I'm not sure what this means exactly.

To be honest, I'd guess that most of the tone of a female vocal comes from the female singing.

What the hell does warm mean?

Brandon
ive used a AT4047 with a Grace pre and Summit tube leveler and gotten very warm fat results.