E-MU 1820

PCI/ISA + Rack Soundcard from E-MU

Thread Standard Audigy 2 problems re: ASIO drivers in Cubase SL

• 21 replies
  • 8 participants
  • 0 follower
1 Standard Audigy 2 problems re: ASIO drivers in Cubase SL
Hi all,

I've just invested in a new PC with Cubase SL in order to finally make some of those guitar/vocal recordings that I've been meaning to.

Problem is, my Soundblaster Audigy 2 soundcard (which I was assured is ASIO compatible and came with an ASIO driver) will currently only work in Cubase SL using the "ASIO Multimedia Driver" or the "ASIO DirectX Full Duplex Driver", both of which introduce a ~0.7 second delay on all overdubbing. I've read that using a standard ASIO driver should enable me to dub over without these delay problems, but whenever I switch to the "Creative ASIO Driver" or "SB Audigy ASIO Driver", I get no signal from my mic.

Anyone had similar problems, or able to recommend what I can do to get Cubase working with a true ASIO soundcard setup (preferably without having to upgrade my Audigy soundcard...)?

Thanks in advance for your help...

Pete
I'm having exactly the same problem - it was the 2ms latency which attracted me to this card in the 1st place, and although the MIDI latency is great, I can't get Cubase (or Logic) to register any audio input from the line-ins using the Audigy drivers. I have to use either the ASIO Multimedia or Full-Duplex Drivers to record audio, but then the MIDI latency becomes apparent again :x . I've trawled through Creative's support section but they're about as much use as a condom machine in the Vatican - I've emailed them & told them that i've already tried updating the drivers (I had to do it manually 'cause their "Autoupdate" function is corrupt on the website :rolleyes: ), so they can't fob me off with that old chestnut. If I hear anything useful or indeed get a result I'll post my findings here. Good luck! :)
EliMuso
Did you guys solve this yet? as i am having a similar problem.
when i enable the audigy asio driver i get the message "sample rate could not be set due to sample clock being set to external"
errr huh?
i looked at the help files but with no luck..help?!?!
Similar problem here...
I used to work with ASIO on my Audigy 2 ZS Platinum, and had no problems, then, I had to format my computer, so when I went to install the drivers for the soundcard, I couldn't find the CD... So I downloaded the drivers from Creative's website, but it never sounded as it used to sound before formatting my PC.
Days later I found the instalation CD of the Audigy, so I uninstalled the drivers I downloaded and installed the drivers from the CD. But it still doesn't have the same quality it did. I used FL Studio 4 with "ASIO Multimedia Driver" or "ASIO DirectX Full Duplex Driver" and had no problem, before formatting the PC, now I can't use them. I can't even use them in other softwares... So I don't know what the hell happened, it used to work very well, now when I work with FL Sudio 4, I can't make a song that has many instruments and effects and sounds and play it in FL Studio 4, because the sound gets all mixed up and it turns into chaos!
I have no idea what to do... It's frustrating to know that I have a soundcard that could work much better than it is working (because it has) but for some unknown issue I can't get it to work at 100%, the way it used to. If someone, anyone, anywhere, could give me a light, I would really apreciate it.
Thanx in advance,

David.
Well it's been a couple of weeks' worth of trawling but I found a solution to the Cubase problem & it's not with the ASIO drivers but with Cubase itself - in order to route audio inputs you need to adjust the setting in the VST Inputs option. Follow this link & it should sort things - I can now monitor in realtime with effects AND keep my MIDI in time!!! :D

http://dmzweb4.europe.creative.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/,/?St=625,E=0000000000041520698,K=623,Sxi=0,Case=obj(5997),VARSET=centric:,Kb=ww_english
EliMuso
This link is not working.... But this info is vital!!! Can someone just paste here general guidelines for making these ASIO drivers work in Cubase!!!??? :lol:
Strange that the link doesn't work. OK here we go!

When using the SB Audigy ASIO drivers you have the option of using multi-channel (also simultaneous) inputs into the VST bus. With the full-duplex you only have one stereo option. So...

Choose the SB Audigy ASIO driver & take the latency down to 2ms, then in cubase go to "Devices/VST Inputs" - if you scroll down (or enlarge this window) you will see that you have multiple options to select (not just line in 1L 2R) but loads more - if you want to record in audio using the Mic input, activate inputs 17&18, then choose this option as the "in" on the track you want to record on (in the inspector window on the left hand side of the screen) - now press the monitor button on the selected track (looks like a little speaker & will glow orange when selected) - hey presto, you should now have realtime monitoring through cubase (it also plays effects as you record in - although the recorded signal is still dry so effects can be changed later).

However this can be very processor-hungry & when big arrangements are run through these ASIO drivers ther can be weird, grainy, fizzy, digital distortion - I tend to switch back to full-duplex to mix stuff, but for recording it means you can get all your audio & MIDI in sync while you record. I have emailed Creative about the distortion issue, maybe this is something they can fix with the next update patch. Good luck!!!
EliMuso
For simultaneous multiple recording ie/ (one track of guitar & one of vocal) through separate inputs (line 1 for vocal, line 2 for guitar), simply activate both of these inputs in the VST inputs window, then choose the relevant inputs for each of these tracks on your inspector window - you can then select both tracks to record using the shift key (or mark them out using the square-shaped option in the tools palette) & you can record the guitar on the one track & the vocals on another simultaneously. I think that it's possible to record up to 6 simultaneous signals to separate tracks through each of the audigy inputs (ie/ the phono Line 3 & optical will also work in tandem with the other line inputs) - although this is where you need the correct leads or converters to do the job - good to know though!
EliMuso
I want to use Line in 3 to record from my mixing console. And how do I activate these ports? what buttons need to be pressed...?
I see the ports - and the word yes right next to them - but how do I activate them?