Coles 4038 user reviews
If you are not satisfied by the reviews below, feel free to request a user review for this product
- This is one of the finest ribbon mics that money can buy. Traditionally ribbon mics are regarded as very fragile mics that you wan't to keep away from very high SPL's. However, the great thing about Coles 4038 designs is that they can take very high volumes with no distortion or risk of damaging the ribbon. I believe the cap on this mic is around 135dB. If you haven't used a ribbon mic, you don't know what you're missing! Ribbons provide a very, very realistic tone. They seem to react to sound much like human ears do, because if you have a good pair of monitors there doesn't seem to be that much difference between how you hear your sources and what this mic can put out. The top end on this mics is absolutely silky smooth and never harsh. A couple of favorite uses for the 4038 are guitar cabs and horns, but in practice you will be hard pressed to find sources that don't sound great through this mic if they sound good in the first place. It connects with a standard XLR cable, and doesn't need phantom power. In fact I believe phantom power will damage the mic, so be careful not to accidentally engage it. This mic also has another advantage of having a different frequency response on the back. When you are close miking something using the back of the mic, the source is a little bit brighter. Saves you the time of adding a top end shelf!
- Overall Opinion
- I have had one of these for almost 7 years. I love this mic! I have the both models of this, and I use them in nearly every session. If you have background singers, try setting one of these about 5 feet in front of them. It sounds like they're all right in front of you! I definitely recommend getting this mic if you are serious about getting very realistic sounds in your studio. It costs over a grand, but it is money well spent for the discerning audiophile.
- The Coles 4038 mic is the type that you would use if you where into broadcasting, it gives you a very smooth response without in distortion. But in my opinion it lacks some warmth, and can exaggerate the high end frequency a little too much.
The frequency response of the 4038 by Coles is very flat, from 30 to 15000 c/s and throughout this range the shape of the bi directional polar response is maintained substantially constant both in the horizontal and vertical planes delivering a smooth sonic quality.
- Overall Opinion
- When we tried to use this microphone in the studio it didn’t sit too well in the mix, I think when talking to fast into the mic it makes the quality go down this is why I said its more for broadcasting. So if you have a webshow or a pod cast or online radio or talk show this mic would be perfect for you. It looks great and sounds great if you are using it for that purpose. But I wouldn’t go with this mic if I was trying to record some live instruments or vocals from musicians and or artist.
Overall it seems to be built pretty tough, only used it for a few weeks before returning it back to the store because we chose to go with a better quality mic for a studio setting. We are not running talk shows or pod casts so this mic didn’t fit us at all. We purchased it directly from the store for a decent price and we had a good return policy so that is why we chose to give it a shot. Knowing what I know now I would not of took the chance and got this mic. It was a waste of my time, not saying its not a good mic its just not for what we are using it for.
- The Coles 4038 is a uniquely designed ribbon microphone that is extremely high quality. The mic has a bi directional polar pick up pattern and will pick up frequencies in between 30 Hz and 15 KHz. It has a shape unlike any mic I have seen before and has the sound to match it. I wouldn't use this microphone outside of the studio at all as it is a ribbon microphone and needs to be kept in the proper condition as it is fragile.
- Overall Opinion
- I've only used the Coles 4038 a few times in a recording studio (as I don't own the mic), but I've used it enough to know that it is a special microphone. It is one of the best sounding ribbon microphones that I have used and is versatile to boot. I've used the microphone for recording vocals as well as for recording drums from a distance. While I wouldn't use the mic for too much close micing, I would bet that this would sound great on just about any instrument a few feet back. It picks up an extreme amount of detail and overall sounds quite natural. If you are looking for an accurate sound from a microphone that doesn't color your sound (although it does have its own tone), this the mic for you. While the price of the 4038 isn't cheap by today's microphone prices standards, it is still a great deal considering the great microphone that you are getting here. There are a lot of cheap ribbon microphones out there that you can get, but none of them sound anything close to what this mic sounds like. It is definitely one of the best deals out there in terms of top end ribbon microphones as it is reasonably priced as far as top notch ribbon mics go. I would mostly recommend this mic for professionals looking for a high end ribbon mic, but also to those home studio owners looking for a great ribbon microphone that will blow most others out of the water. So in general, I highly recommend checking out the Coles 4038...
User reviews in other languages
- Micro conventional tape (figure 8 then). Book with its box, but do not forget to buy the xlr adapter that serves as clamp.
Very heavy, I'll tinker with my mic stand to buy a fault has 200th ...
- Overall Opinion
- I just have, I tested on a guitar, violin and voice. Not yet on the battery or I know I'll have a slap! It feels pretty little figure 8, it's still pretty emissions at the source, no sound piece.
It is superb. I know little ribbons, I had a m160 that I have not managed to aprivoiser, very good room on a battery but never perfect to my taste for reste.Un of SF12 royer is beautiful. And also is the slap. The schools really terrible color, medium thick low wholesale (harmonic distortion?), Treble enough withdrawal and transient response common to ribbons, that exitee least one static. It is very flattering, with nice bass. C is exactly what I was looking for an alternative to static which can exaggerate the treble very quickly, what another color. If you already have a couple of small laminae, 2-3 large laminae and SM7B (I love this mic!), You MUST buy a 4038!
And more product as it is from the 60s or even 50, it's a dinosaur! and the Yanks are jealous of the price at which it can be in europe ... take advantage of that for once is not the opposite!
- Ribbon mic. Directivity 8.
Everything has been said in previous reviews.
- Overall Opinion
- I acquired a pair of special edition birthday. Bronze color beautifully.
These pickups are absolutely stunning natural. Put the battery before a couple good smooth: you will need anything else. Whole spectrum is there, the stamps are beautifully observed, the stereo magnificent.
Faced with an acoustic guitar type "martin" c again is a miracle. We hear the strings, wood, fingers, etc. ...
And nothing to spoil, these microphones are very tolerant equalizer. Not aggressive in the treble, no serious invasive. Everything is there, but nothing annoying.
on the other hand must be consistent in the chain, and supply them with preamps can deliver a sufficient gain, and be very careful because despite their air tanks, they are quite fragile, like all ribbon microphones: the protection of humidity, do not blow it, banish 48V, pay attention to the power of the magnet, etc. ...
- wide ribbon
directivity 8, output level quite right for a ribbon
output a little "English" three-pin XLR huge Requiring ADAT sold by brand
ref: 4069 or 4071 with the integrated mic stand clip
weight, very very very heavy (more than 1 kilo)
provide very good mic stand, boom stand almost mandatory for use over head
paired the couple arrives in two boxes with two fasteners 4071 that are also adate XLR and velvet covers for storing the microphone. attention, loving the microphone is very powerful, do not put near metal objects, to be classified alone in its box.
beautiful couple as room mic on brass, drums and even strings,
for this AEA (wes doolay) proposes a coupling bar handy for couples A / B, ORTF and XY Blumlein for 4038
this bar called the AEA SMT see the photo on my profile
- Overall Opinion
- sound incredibly sweet, a little warmer than natural!
you can do anything with, it will be a little color on the acoustic guitar or piano, and give you an impression of absolute truth on batteries, set of strings, brass, accordion, percussion, amps, piano right ...
epai is soft and natural.
a mic, or is insensitive person, his look, his weight, his tone.
responds extremely well to equalization,
I love ...