Create an account

or

Thread Native American Drum Recording

• 1 comment
  • 2 participants
  • 0 follower
1 Native American Drum Recording
Hey all,
I am looking to start recording native american powwow drum groups. For those of you who aren't familiar it consists of about 5-10 guys sitting around singing and drumming on something simular to a bass drum, along with 5 girls standing around as back up singers. It gets real loud. I am also a dj so as of now I have a M=audio Quattro, a Mackie 1202-VLZ Pro, audix drum mic, and also a couple audix vocal mic's. What equipment could i use from what i have and what would be better laptop or desktop. I also have cool edit. Is that good or should i look to something else?

Jason
Boy you have really jumped into the deep end. I actually have a fair abount of recording Native "drums" and its really really tough, but a lot of fun.

If you can I would try and record to multiple tracks so that you can mix down later, since it can be a tricky mix. You basically want to get three elements:

1) a close mic on the main drum to give it a litte extra definition.

2) Vocal mics, These do not have to be individual mics, but can mic groups of singers. If you have some really good mic stands you can put an XY pair of bi directional mics over the main drum to catch the mail voices.

3) Room Mics: Most "Drums" are pretty damn loud and the musicians themselves will do a lot of mixing for you. A couple good mics ten feet away could be a large part of the sound.

and a forth) if there is a leader that is a soloist you may want to give him his own mic.

Good Luck.