Moog Music Sub Phatty
  • Increase or decrease font size
  • RSS

All user reviews of 4/5 for the Moog Music Sub Phatty

Average Score:4.8( 4.8/5 based on 4 reviews )
 3 reviews75 %
 1 user review25 %
View price information
Editorial review
  • 04/07/13Moog Sub Phatty Test

Moog Sub Phatty Test - For whom the Moog tolls

First showcased at the NAMM show in the beginning of this year, the Sub Phatty places a maximum number of commands in the hands of its user while, at the same time, reducing the overall footprint. A winning formula?

safi.saxclaviers03/09/2014

safi.saxclaviers's review"Perfect for DUB"

2-octave or 25-key keyboard
No effects (you'll need a delay, reverb and others for dub, for example).
16 presets that can be overwritten to save your own presets in the internal memory (that's for me ONE OF THE MAIN STRENGTHS, because it's pretty rare in the analog world). Playing 3 keyboards live, I don't see me recovering the exact settings or patching them on the spot!!
No sustain on the cues, but for $20 you can get a basic ROLAND pedal.
The sub phatty offers plenty of connection possibilities (audio in/out jacks, usb midi...)
Careful it's MONOPHONIC...so you can't make any chords (but playing with the frequencies you can obtain and save set intervals: Thirds, fourths, fifths...).

First analog for me, it's easy enough to understand how it works...what takes longer is testing all possible combinations you can do with it.
The manual is an easy read.
It's well done, there are examples to illustrate each part of the synth so you can see in real time what happens.
EDITING is über-easy, as easy and fast as on a NORD.

I added the sub phatty (for its heavy dub aspect) to a NORD ELECTRO 4D and a KORG PA 3X to make reggae roots with a touch of DUB. And I'm very satisfied with this backline, which allows me to cover all my needs.
It makes no sense to talk about realism with an analog synth because it's not intended to "emulate and acoustic instrument." That's not the goal!
On the other hand, the sounds it produces are awesome and huge...in a very electronic registry. It's amazing for ELECTRO DUB hip hop EXPERIMENTAL... (but I think the MOOG is better for folk, rock or pop!)

I got it four days ago, I quickly decided to add DELAY and other types of effects to make it all sound...
Listening to the demos online, I hesitated a lot between the Arturia MINIBRUTE ($600!) the celebrated Korg MS20 MINI (but I'm not a fan of modular patching) and the MOOG. I don't regret my purchase! (but I would love to know what the minibrute offers for half the money, although the latter has no presets!)
You get your money's worth in terms of sound quality...the MOOG sound.