Create an account

or

Thread October 18, 2014 editorial: comments

• 11 replies
  • 6 participants
  • 6 followers
1 October 18, 2014 editorial: comments

Don't Lose Your Dongle

I just finished installing and authorizing a piece of music software, and it got me to thinking about the issues of software piracy and copy protection. First, let me say that I’m totally against the use of cracked software, or stealing of software in any way. In addition to the moral issues related to piracy, it can cause software developers to lose significant revenue and even go out of business. With less software developers there will be less competition, fewer choices, less innovation, and higher prices. So next time somebody offers you cracked software, I would strongly advise you not to take it.

To fight piracy, software companies use copy protection systems of various types. Some of these are better than others. Dongle-based protection systems, most notably the iLok, are used by many developers. Other systems directly authorize your computer: you submit your serial number on the company website and get sent an activation code, or get authorized via a proprietary license manager application. 

Given the amount of hackers and software thieves that exist, I don’t begrudge companies the need for copy protection. What I don’t like is when it becomes needlessly burdensome for the user. For example, we’ve all probably had difficult experiences trying to get software authorized — either do to unclear instructions or convoluted authorization processes, such as where you have to type in 20-25-digit codes without being able to copy and paste. 

Then there’s the issue of dongles. For those using desktop computers exclusively for their music work, a dongle is fine, Plug it into a USB hub and forget about it (I once got software with a dongle that had to be connected via the computer’s onboard USB ports, rather than a hub, and that was infuriating.) A dongle-based system is also good for those who might need to run their software or plug-ins on computers other than their own.

One thing’s for sure, if you carry around a laptop, a dongle can be a real pain – it's just another thing to remember and to possibly lose while traveling. Not to mention that it takes up a precious USB slot, and when it's plugged in it protrudes from your laptop in a way that makes it more likely to get knocked into and possibly broken. 

I recently did a software installation where I was given the choice, to authorize on my iLock or directly to the computer.  I authorized my desktop computer via iLok and my laptop with direct authorization. Having the choice was a welcome surprise, and I wish more companies would do that. 

What are your thoughts on the copy protection issue, and which do you prefer: a dongle-based protection scheme one or one that authorizes your computer directly?

Have a great week.

Mike Levine 

U.S. Editor, Audiofanzine

I use Reason and my software is authorised via Internet connection. I only need to to log in if I use trial versions of their rack extensions and of there are any updates.the full package is authorised to my pc. I have had bad experiences with other software that requires a dongle for everyday use. The problem is when the dongle is moved to another port or when that port becomes corrupt. Then the software is rendered unusable. Worse yet of someone removes the dongle with the belief that it is a usb drive. That has happened at my place of work already. I am not against dongle protection but it can be tiresome when stuff like that happens. On the other hand developers like those of cockos reaper have made their trial software fully functional for a sixty day period , which is awesome. I think that the thirty day trial period offered by nearly everone else is too short a time to effectively evaluate their product and that more developers should follow suite. That may encourage users to purchase the f
I use Reason and my software is authorised via Internet connection. I only need to to log in if I use trial versions of their rack extensions and of there are any updates.the full package is authorised to my pc. I have had bad experiences with other software that requires a dongle for everyday use. The problem is when the dongle is moved to another port or when that port becomes corrupt. Then the software is rendered unusable. Worse yet of someone removes the dongle with the belief that it is a usb drive. That has happened at my place of work already. I am not against dongle protection but it can be tiresome when stuff like that happens. On the other hand developers like those of cockos reaper have made their trial software fully functional for a sixty day period , which is awesome. I think that the thirty day trial period offered by nearly everone else is too short a time to effectively evaluate their product and that more developers should follow suite. That may encourage users to purchase the f
I use Reason and my software is authorised via Internet connection. I only need to to log in if I use trial versions of their rack extensions and of there are any updates.the full package is authorised to my pc. I have had bad experiences with other software that requires a dongle for everyday use. The problem is when the dongle is moved to another port or when that port becomes corrupt. Then the software is rendered unusable. Worse yet of someone removes the dongle with the belief that it is a usb drive. That has happened at my place of work already. I am not against dongle protection but it can be tiresome when stuff like that happens. On the other hand developers like those of cockos reaper have made their trial software fully functional for a sixty day period , which is awesome. I think that the thirty day trial period offered by nearly everone else is too short a time to effectively evaluate their product and that more developers should follow suite. That may encourage users even more so to purchase the full suite.
Good points. The ability to try out software in a fully functional state is a great tool for customers who are evaluating which software application to buy. I'm not sure that many developers would go for a 60-day period, but it would be cool if some did.
Hi mike. I know its off-topic but worthwhile mentioning. I would certainly be more keen on purchasing a product if I was allowed to try for a longer period. Better yet a stripped down version that does not time out but cost less. I dont use alot of different software any longer but sticking to what works for me.i know steinberg do have various options a available to accomodate variois users depending on affordability. If im not to be mistaken tho, there is the issue of the dongle again. Im in no way blasting them, they do make lovely packages and solid instruments especially the samplers and all the vst's that come with it. My first track was made in cubasis. That was a while back. Coming back to the point, I can see why some ppl are frustrated by all the security that is bundled with software. It shouldnt be a pain each and every time to lauch a programme and having to pass security checks when all u want to do is bang out some beats on your computer. If u paid for something you shouldnt have to struggle just to use it whenever you want to. I wonder how others feel about this, especially veteran userz. WhT about late bloomers, who want to migrate from hardware and traditional instruments? What is their take on this matter?
Hello Mike,

Its always a pleasure to read your articles; all being very informative and its nice
to have feedback from someone who's "been around" :)

But i have to strongly disagree on one point about your latest editorial, the fact that music software companies are losing money. I think its not true at all!! Have you ever been on a music software piracy forum where "hackers" ( that word choice was a little strong imho ) and thieves are "hangin out" ? Do you know who and what those "criminals" are??

Back in the day when i was starting out as a DAW activist ( more then 10 years ago ) when i didnt have a penny, i have no shame in admiting that yes i did download some pirated software. BUT...back then....i would of never bought the software anyways!!! No money no candy. You see the "pirates" and "thieves" as you call them are the little guys pushing faders on week ends in their rooms. The essence of the clients for those companies are the big guys ( big studios, schools, top producers etc...). Not those small week end wannabee producers. At worst, those companies enjoy a tremendous word of mouth publicity from those "thieves" , propagating the good gospel about this plugin and such and such. Wich later on if they become pros will eventually buy the stuff: like i did.

Just my little two cents ;)

Hi All,
I will probably repeat some some things already said, but I think they are important points to keep in mind.
I don't mind at all copy protection, companies what to protect their work that took endless hours of research.
I just don't like when this becomes a barrier as a user.
For instance if a user moves around with a laptop, he might lose or break his usb dongle, beside taking a extra usb port.
To summarize, internet activation/serial key is the most user friendly option currently available. And dongle activation is the most protective option out there.
I would suggest that companies should provide to the user a option that would ease things by blending the 2 options summarized.
For instance, for software that requires only dongle protection, the app could held active for 30 days when the dongle is removed. Or the company could mix the dongle protection with a online activation that would keep the app active for 30 days. Something like that...
This would allow the user to move with a laptop without worrying of the losing the dongle and taking a extra usb port.

best to all,
dc
Successful software does need to be protected as it will be a natural target for crackers. However, I don't use the this most hyped software. I have used Reaper, octamed, and now that Tracktion is alive and kicking again, I am on my third version of it (T3,T4,T5). The price I paid is very reasonable, the software very easy to use, I don't want millions of buttons on-screen, just the basic ones I need to get my music down without any distractions from the software. It has been the only software I have completed any projects on so it must be really simple! Too simple for some pros no doubt. The point is - it is pretty cheap relatively speaking. So cheap, it stays under the threshold at which you would accept a cracked bit of software.So the solution is for sellers to keep the prices below what the average musician can afford.
Quote from psyfin:
On the other hand developers like those of cockos reaper have made their trial software fully functional for a sixty day period , which is awesome. I think that the thirty day trial period offered by nearly everone else is too short a time to effectively evaluate their product and that more developers should follow suite. That may encourage users to purchase the f

Absolutely. What gets frustrating is when businesses nickel and dime users. When CDs force people to pay $15+, even if you only liked 3 or 4 songs on the album, it really stuck it to the end user, particularly broke students like myself (at the time). Now with the advent of iTunes and mp3s, it's become easier to buy what you want without any bullshit. Furthermore, bands like Radiohead are starting to side-step the gigantic record companies (who are the real assholes that screw everyone over and bankrupt the artists AKA the talent...) by producing in-house, then offering the choice to buy directly online via donation or simply buy the album for free (at least that was the case with In Rainbows....fantastic album by the way).

I think often times, gear manufacturers and software developers force customers into updates or small minor changes that they communicate as revelations, just to keep a steady income stream. I understand companies need to make money, but I'd rather it would be through true innovations that add real value to the end user, instead of by creating a new file type or format that renders all previous versions and recordings useless.....

That's why I am not totally against piracy. If anything, I'm most disappointed by the fact that digital music production has bankrupted some legendary studios, but that's what truly innovative products do. Now I'm all for paying for a great innovation, but I hate the way they often try and force the end-consumers hand in order to extend their lifetime customer value. It's like tobacco companies advertising to children in the old days, so they get hooked and bring in a steady revenue stream.

I think in a perfect world, more people would follow Reaper's example, and offer truly affordable innovations. Or, there would be longer trial periods (45-60 days) to TRULY give it a go, which is hard to do in 30 days if you have a full time job and a family to raise, like I do. Or, maybe the best possibility would be able to pick and choose from certain sound banks, plugins, etc that come natively with a DAW, each with their own price, so I don't have to spend, say, $400 for a fully-equipped DAW when I only want their amp simulators, EQ and Compressors, for example.

I feel bad for the smaller companies who get hurt by this, but it's a dog-eat-dog world. Companies like Apple have shown this by trying and forcing you to pay more by removing a 32gb iPhone and forcing you to either get 16gb (interestingly enough, priced the same as previous 32gig versions...) or a much more expensive 64gb iPhone. Companies in the MI and PA industry do this by changing formats, or making updates that often render older versions useless, or by making older, more affordable versions either unavailable, or rendering them useless by removing any sort of customer support for these older products.

Until I see that software companies will do their best to offer flexibly priced bundles or units, then I won't shed a tear for them if piracy takes some of the cake...