Create an account

or

Thread February 13, 2016 editorial: comments

• 26 replies
  • 13 participants
  • 13 followers
1 February 13, 2016 editorial: comments

Too Big to Not Fail?

A few weeks ago I wrote here about the technical issues I was having with Pro Tools and that I'd finally decided I had no other option but to pay for the annual service plan. (Paying for the right to talk to technical support, how messed up is that?) 

Although it didn’t totally fix all my issues, the advice I got from the outsourced Avid support engineer did help to some degree. Everything was going along relatively swimmingly until a couple of days ago, when I got an email from PayPal telling me that they’d just charged my account for an Avid Pro Tools 12 Subscription. This had nothing to do with the service plan, which I’d paid for a month ago. Apparently, some computer at Avid got its wires crossed and randomly billed me $99, as if I were an annual subscriber for the software, which I most definitely am not! (If you’ve read my past columns on software subscriptions, you’ll know why.)

Trying to get this mistake rectified has been a comedy of errors more reminiscent of dealing with a giant health insurance or cable company than a music software developer. Has Avid become that bureaucratic? The answer, at least based on my experience so far, is “yes.” I’ve had dealings with a lot of music gear and software manufacturers over the years, but never, ever before, have I felt like a number, not a person — until now.

Here’s how it went down: I called Avid support and was asked by an automated voice to enter system ID (a number you’re assigned with your Pro Tools license or support license without which you can’t even get a live person to speak to you). I entered it and somebody answered after only a few seconds. So far, so good. 

He, too, asked me for my system ID. I explained the problem and he told me that I had to speak with the “Registration Department,” and that he’d transfer me, which he did. I soon heard another recording asking for my system ID, which I entered (again). 

After a few minutes more on hold, an agent answered and asked for my system ID. His voice sounded familiar. It was the first guy again. He seemed surprised that my call had been routed back to him. He then told me I should call a different number. Ugh. 

So I did, and after a few minutes on hold (and thankfully, no requests for my system ID), I explained the problem again, and he put me on hold for another few minutes. He then came back and said he’d looked up my records and found no evidence that Avid had charged me for anything. This was rather frustrating to hear, and I gave him the PayPal transaction ID. He said he had to send it up the line to another person to deal with, and that I’d hear back from them later in the day.

Later, I got an email saying that according to their records I didn't even have a Pro Tools license. I discovered that, even though I’d given them the correct email address, they’d used the wrong one, which was associated with a different, but inactive, user account I’d once set up. For once, I wished they had asked for my system ID, perhaps then they would have pulled up the correct information. I emailed them screenshots from my bank and PayPal accounts both of which clearly show the transaction. Now I guess I’ll have to wait until next week to see whether they credit me or whether I have to keep burrowing deeper into the bureaucratic morass. 

I’m starting to regret my decision to stay with Pro Tools. I still love the software, but the company, not so much.

Show first post
Mike,
it's more than obvious that they are a "business oriented company" and they want to “put you in a cage” by using their programme instead of serve the customer. I believe that you can keep on a computer the PT and your old work and start a new day with a DAW more user oriented. Certainly I do not know the nature(?) of your work and also the amount of the effort needed to proceed to such a change but, from the other hand, more than the half between the DAWs are the same, give or take. I experienced also the aforementioned problems with Sibelius and in this case I was the opinion maker of my school and they bought 30 licenses…:furieux:. Now we will stay at version 6 and then we will “transfer” to Finale….! So go for it Mike and “bon courage”!!!
Quote:
Mike perhaps its time to add a new DAW to your arsenal and work out a way to swap between them (before you have an important session, that is )

Good suggestion. Actually, thanks to my job, I have several DAWs on my computer besides Pro Tools, including DP 9, Logic Pro X, and Studio One 3. I have used them all, but have stuck with PT on projects where I have deadlines or clients. I still prefer the Pro Tools interface for mixing and editing (I do predominantly audio recording and mixing, with only a relatively small amount of MIDI). All that said, considering my recent dealings with Avid, I plan to start using one of the others more often — I'm not sure which one yet — and slowly transition away from PT.
Quote:
I have been a diehard Cakewalk user for over 30 years and have always been very satisfied with their tech support team.

I have heard nothing but good stuff about Sonar, and the Cakewalk folks are good people. When I've seen Sonar demoed, I have always been impressed. Alas, it only runs on Windows, and I'm a lifelong Mac user, so it's not an option for me.
Quote:
Now we will stay at version 6 and then we will “transfer” to Finale

From your comments and one previous, it sounds like Avid has not kept Sibelius on the forefront of notation programs, like it once was. That's a shame. But based on what I've seen from Avid, it's not at all surprising. When a music software developer stops innovating and starts cutting corners, bad things happen to its products.
[/quote]
I think Studio One 3 is a very good program. I think that it will definitely grab a larger and larger share of the home studio market, because it offers a lot more bang for the buck, and PreSonus is a friendlier company. However, I think Pro Tools will probably remain the industry standard among the pro audio folks until the generation that grew up with it retires. It's so ingrained in the studio culture among the producers and engineers who are doing high-end professional work, that it's hard to imagine them switching away en masse. [/quote]
Agree. Ingrained is PT's main strength now. Does not necessarily make sense, but I feel you have basically nailed it. Interesting how all replies here so far are not PT friendly, so it appears many have jumped ship, or will soon. Tho there will remain enough core pros who will hang on, as it has been their Pro Tool for decades. And much of that time was when no other DAW could compete. That is rapidly changing. Some elements of change move more slowly.
Quote:
Interesting how all replies here so far are not PT friendly, so it appears many have jumped ship, or will soon. Tho there will remain enough core pros who will hang on, as it has been their Pro Tool for decades. And much of that time was when no other DAW could compete. That is rapidly changing. Some elements of change move more slowly.

I think your analysis is spot on. :bravo:
Quote from jpmcneil:
I seemed to me PT was resting on their laurels, more interested in $ than continued sensible and affordable development. Seemed they felt they could do/charge anything, cause they were "The Standard". I didn't like that vibe. The rather new kid on the block, Studio One, kept coming up. I have never looked back. And Studio One 3.1, wow. 3.2 is coming very soon, and ALL point upgrades are FREE. Major upgrades are reasonable, around $150, and on sale for $99 (like now). I have only paid for 2 major upgrades in 5 years, or something sane like that. I can count on one hand, more like a couple fingers, the times it has crashed in 5 years. Do a free trial. Their new mantra, "The Next Standard". Presonus set out to do this, as Avid became increasingly self-centered. I think they are pulling it off. And pulling down the Old Standard. I think it is time.

100% agree with everything on Studio One. I haven't yet upgraded from Studio One 2 Professional, but I got into it because it's user-friendly without much sacrifice on power and capabilities, it's much cheaper than Pro Tools, much better supported, and the Presonus guys are good people (as is Cakewalk's team). But like Mike, I'm a mac user and haven't used Cakewalk for 10 years, when I had my last non-mac (a sony vaio). Cakewalk was cool, sony/windows...not so much.....

Unfortunately, Avid is completing the same cycle as most other gigantic companies in the US. They start with passion and a focus on the end-user, then begin earning the majority of market share, focus more on the bottom line and forget entirely about what made them profitable in the first place, before finally having a slow and painful downfall with decreasing margins and pissed off customers.

I only hope the process speeds up, because there's nothing worse than a company that starts thinking in terms of direct profits as the end-game instead of adding value to the end-user in order to earn their trust and business, thus turning a profit (I'm looking at you Apple...thinking of removing the headphone jack from the iphone...probably to sell exclusive iphone-ready beats headphones, shame on you!!!)

Quote from warpdriveprod:

Sincerely,

Marc Levinson
President,
Warp Drive Productions
http://warpdriveprod.com/
Aliso Viejo, CA

Authorized sE electronics & Clearsonic dealer.

Hey, Aliso Viejo, that's awesome! I'm based in our Paris headquarters, but grew up in Laguna Beach. Glad to have a fellow neighbor around :)

Quote from Jimmy:
...and that's why it sometimes referred to as ..."Blow Tools...

:bravo::bravo: