Boss DB-5 Driver
Boss DB-5 Driver

Bass Eq/Enhancer from Boss .

l'obscur l'obscur

« Atomic! »

Published on 03/23/13 at 20:38
I bought this pedal by acquiring a part of an old stock which was flooded 10 years before in a store in my area. It was around 2000. I saw the seller some time ago and I reminded him of this transaction: he almost cried! Because I was 5 or 6 old pedals that I had sold "kilo" (set to 150 francs) and that it was in the lot. Today I could sell at least 600 €! (At that time with my group, we loved the "junk" pedals, analog synth you could buy for a pittance).

This big box is a real oddity. It provides three main functions it presents as equalize, attack and fuzz. But it is more convoluted than that.
The first setting allows the use of only 5 bands of EQ (which are actually very sensitive) and gain. In this function it can serve preamp.
The second also allows the use of the EQ but with additional adjustment of the attack of the sound. It is not a sustainer, it would even be the opposite. The greater the level of attack and the sound is dry and granular, like a gate that goes to the very expressive fuzz.
And the third setting is just the fuzz. We can also use this band EQ and gain, but the volume knob is used to increase the level of distortion fuzz. But when I speak of fuzz, it is not a big muff sound creamy: this fuzz is, beyond a certain level (quickly reached to 3/10 of course) almost impossible to play!

This is obviously all analog, non-editable, non midifié. Two mono input jack (bass and lead) and one output. It runs on 9V. A little hatch gives access to the location for a battery. Inside it&#39;s a mess, but you can see the components of a certain size, unusual in the pedals today.

No manual.
Config ... well you have to turn the volume knob and the effect of the gain knob. And the same EQ: 5 bands up / down.

The effects are they effective? ..................
How to say? .........
If we stick to the equalizer function, I would say this is a great effect pedal for a format with a wide frequency tuning from a very expressive and dynamic.
Time, I also used as a preamp. Ie it was the beginning of my chain of effects (guitar) and permanently illuminated. She gave more gain and dynamics to my sound, and it allowed me to edit the equation based concert venues since my amp had almost no tone control.
After I tested with several instrumentals. With a low, I think it loses its substance, probably the impedance is not it for this purpose ...
With synth, especially old analos, then there it rocks serious depending fuzz!
It may simply obtain additional modulations thanks to the pedal. It distorts the sound so you get sound waves species which can vary the frequency thanks to the EQ and with which you can create effects "phase" very powerful ... In this configuration, the pedal becomes an instrument full, which can be played like a synth.

Today, I again, unwanted distortion as in my effects chain (before pedals equipped with buffer, if she "ammaigrie"
It is very difficult or impossible to play melodically with a fairly extensive set of fuzz function. The effect is so dominant that any abrasive tone becomes imperceptible grain behind the spit, ripped, roared through the pedal.
But it is the use that interests me and that I did. I keep it under the elbow can at times drop a bomb!
It is literally that. Scraping all the strings I can almost make the noise impact of a bomb, and the sound is very quickly extinguished by the gate of his overpowering fuzz: the sound is muffled as just after the attack very noisy , like a fire extinguished by a ton of water discharged by a charter.
She also produces a range of very small granules without the disadvantage of distos in general no breath, no hum, no endless sustain or uncontrolled feedback ... And coupling it with other effects j &#39;can get even more noisy in a register. With delays or reverbs is top. Coupled with other distortion / OD / fuzz then there is Beirut!

You just need to understand that this pedal is not made for the guitar heroes. It will not highlight your subtle dexterity, she will not reveal the velocity and hit your solo, it will not scale to your sweet melodies and arpeggios your lace, she déchiquètera like a bomb body disintegrates all organic!
This integrated, you will find that it is unnecessary and very gross, or simply necessary because unique.

I use this old lady (it dates from 1977) for nearly 15 years. It is virtually untraceable, since even Audiofanzine offers no opportunity announcement. The production stopped in 1980.
I obviously tested many distos or fuzz and stuff, but I do not think I ever heard such a sound (or perhaps causes malfunctions!)
It has nothing to do with fuzz "classic" type Big muff or fuzz face ... It is not creamy and ultra harmonic. It is more grainy and "wavy".
Among the effects that I tested, what&#39;s approaching the most would be the fender blender. DB-5 could also go for a vintage version of some effects of the mark Death by Audio.
I think there is nothing I do not like this pedal, but I know she has a particular purpose. It is a little big, but even that I like is the vintage side ... Oh yes, it does not and sometimes it has led to surprises when you think being clear sound.
The features that I like most: heavy duty. Multi task (preamp / EQ, OD, mégafuzz). The sound of course.
The price / quality ratio is as I explained at the beginning unbeatable, but with unprecedented chance. If I fell on such occaz I would not hesitate!

Some more info: