Yamaha P-120
Yamaha P-120

Digital Piano from Yamaha belonging to the P series.

matosaure matosaure

« Nice product, in terms of feel and touch »

Published on 04/28/12 at 03:28
88-key practice piano to move on to the real thing!
Midi In Out
Audio RCA & Jack OUT
Sustain pedal connector
Double headphones output
Sounds can be edited in terms of effects, chorus, reverb...Bu that's not what this type of product is for, the effects are there to improve your listening experience.

This is the main strength of this digital piano, the keyboard is really interesting, rather hard, but you can obviously adjust it (hard, medium, soft) to make the sound come out easier with soft or have the sound respond to the keyboard with hard. I always use the latter, because the playing is more subtle, and it's also easier to play with another piano (if you can play the hardest, you can play the softest).

In terms of setup, the manual is very clear, but the interface on the piano doesn't allow for an intuitive approach of the parameters (MIDI channels), although it's better for sounds.

I'm hooked to Afro-American music, blues, reggae, jazz. The expression is convincing for this type of product (which shouldn't be compared to an upright or grand piano). The sounds are good, I like especially the Piano1 sound and the organ, the rest is all right but I never use it.
I use it mainly to forget about my home studio and play standards. But that doesn't stop me from using it as a master keyboard with a MID USB interface to build my songs at home, the keyboard is truly YAMAHA!

The sound through the speakers is very good and also through the different outputs. I use it a lot with headphones in the evening (due to my neighbors) and it's impeccable.

I've used it for two years. I bought it secondhand and I am very happy with it. Compared to the more recent P85, the keyboard of the P120 for live applications is really good.