Alvarez RD8
MGR/Matt Milholen MGR/Matt Milholen

« Alvarez RD-8 »

Published on 09/20/03 at 15:00
I bought this guitar at the String Shoppe in Columbus, Ohio. I paid 134.99 plus around 80 for a hardshell case. This was my first guitar and I was very excited.

Deep resonating bass tones, a great look and a great price.

The action was painfully high. It seemed like the strings rose an inch off the fretboard around the 12th and higher frets, even after adjusting. The tone was muffled and weak- due to the laminate top, back and sides and heavy lacquer coating. It was hard to fret but when I bought more expensive guitars it was SO easy in comparison- so maybe it was good to learn on.

The fretboard seemed a little rough- almost unfinished. Seemed solid overall though. The first time I changed the string all the plastic pins easy snapped in half. Once I put new pins in they never broke again. very little decoration, no inlays or anything fancy like like.

The bottom line is-- SAVE AN EXTRA $100 BUCKS AND BUY A SOLID TOP! Just because its an Alvarez doesn't mean you'll be happy with it- i wasn't. However, for the price its a good value.