Sennheiser e 825 S
Sennheiser e 825 S
AudioArtist AudioArtist

« An affordable and surprisingly good sound. »

Published on 09/10/12 at 11:15
Sennheiser has always had a fairly good reputation, there are several Sennheiser mics that are literally studio staples now. The Evolution series 825S was an instant classic for me. I first used these right when the Evolution series was first launched. At the time I was working as soundman for a jazz club. I must admit at first I complained to the owner, "Why didn't you buy the Shure 58's and 57's that I told you to?" After a few evenings with the E825S's I was completely sold and cursing myself for being a hardnose. Obviously, my first instinct was to use them as vocal mics, but then I started experimenting with using them on piano, upright bass, and even as a drum overhead! All I can say is that I was very impressed with the clarity and durability of the E825S, not that your typical jazz musician is overly rough on equipment, mics will be dropped and cables will be stepped on, yanking the xlr out of the mic. These mics stood up to the challenge and have won a special appreciation from me as being a very solid choice for live situations. At the time, through a special arrangement with certain groups and the management, I recorded many, many live performances and the E825S always held it's own. As a standard cardioid mic it's clarity is impressive, I always ran it through an 'almost' limiting compressor and it produced a very warm, rich vocal sound every time. Dare I say, if given the choice between a 58 or the E825S, I honestly would choose the Sennheieser. Sorry Shure!!
Have you ever had a screamer in your studio? The kind of guy that you wouldn't trust to even look at your nicer condenser mics? Well, in most cases that's where your trusty standard cardioid mics come out to play. Give the man a E825S and let him scream and spit all over it, it can take it, and still sound pretty darn good too.

Overall, the E825S is a really solid choice for live applications and can come in handy in the studio. In my opinion it's better than the Shure 58 for vocal and it can hold it's own on snare and toms. For a musician or club owner on a budget it's definetly worth buying one or two, you may very well find yourself buying some more.