Sennheiser e 825 S
Sennheiser e 825 S
sw80 sw80

« Ok, but I prefer Shure »

Published on 12/15/12 at 20:52
Vocal microphones are always an up and down buy, especially when you are dealing with microphones in this price range. But with the Sennheiser E825S you will get pretty good recordings but nothing that will make you feel like you got a great microphone. This microphone is very rugged and made to last the home recording artist a long time. But the range of this microphone does not sit right with me. I have had many issues when recording other artist (mainly females) and trying to pick up the high frequencies they put off. When recording myself with it and other male artist everything is fine and the tone is very warm and full. Females have higher frequencies (in most cases) and when using the Sennheiser E825S on their voices I felt like the high end frequencies would get slightly muffled and were not as clean and crisp as they should be.

I was using this mic a lot back in 2006 to 2007 and it was one of my main microphones because I just did not have money at the time to upgrade. For the price I really did not expect to get much better than this, but after using other microphones that cost a lot more has allowed me to see just how many flaws this microphone has. While I was using it I knew that something was not right but I was in the early stages of my career and just could not put my finger on it. Now that I am more seasoned in recording and have worked with better gear I see what the issues where.
If you are looking to spend less than 100 dollars and need a vocal microphone I prefer going with the Shure SM mics. They will give you a great recording and can be a more versatile microphone than the E825S can be.