< Tous les avis Fender Road Worn '50s Precision Bass
bouns83 bouns83

« Good Mexican bass for an old-school sound »

Published on 04/26/16 at 05:56
Audience: Anyone
Some say Fender is overrated, but I really wanted THE ONE bass sound I could hear on the rock records that I listened to as a kid. Plus, I wanted a bass that was not needlessly complicated to use with a crazy preamp and an infinite number of pickup split options. You can’t make simpler than this one, and it sounds every time – just adjust the tone knob depending on the sound you’re after and here you go. Finally, I wanted a good-looking instrument and clearly, this one looks like it survived touring with a punk band for a while – apart from the fact it doesn’t smell of beer. The relic-ing process is pretty well done, it’s a question of taste of course but I really like it, plus it’s less stressful when you hit something with it!

Played with a strap, it feels very comfortable, light and balanced. Of course the neck is thicker and less prone to fast playing compared with a jazz, but you soon get used to it and string spacing is not excessive. High notes are easy to access.

Soundwise, no surprise, it’s the precision sound – round, hot, warm, with beautiful medium tones that ensure presence in the mix. The highs sound mellow. The sound bears a vintage spirit, so for a more modern Precision sound you’d be better off in the New American standard range. Slap lovers will have to do with an old school, Larry Graham-ish sound (which is also nice). For comparing both model (stabdard American and Mexican) I found more mojo from that Mexican one, with richer medium tones and mellower, thicker lows.
In a band, this bass works well in different genres (heavy rock, stoner, grunge, punk rock, works for metal too).
The only flaw I found was a small, nearly imperceptible vibration due to the bridge setting springs (well, I mean the piece of metal that is used as a bridge).
Otherwise, nothing else to add except for the fact that soundwise this one doesn’t pale to an American model. Regarding its manufacturing quality and aging, we’ll see with time. So far, after a year of use, I only have good things to say about it.

Images linked to this review

• photo