Jonas Hellborg Sound of Sweden
Jonas Hellborg Sound of Sweden
Little 16 Little 16

« Cult! »

Publié le 07/30/11 à 04:26
I do a "review" of this low since I have a few days because there is very little info on the net about this exceptional instrument.

It&#39;s a low "vintage" of 1984-1985 or so.

This bass was made in Italy (it seems t ...) by a luthier.

He made this bass in collaboration with Jonas Hellborg (the "famous" Swedish bass player, a pure "virtuoso").
- It has 27 frets! Yes you read correctly! 27! A getting started this may surprise some but you get done quickly.

- The pickups are "doubles", manufactured in the manner of some microphones guitars.
They can play in series, parallel or neutral.
The bridge is "massive", other than the tip of home plate Fender!
In addition to the strings attach to the back of the body (like the Fender U.S.), which gives sustain terrible.
- The handle is superb: first there are mother of pearl inlays (the real!) Is a touch of precious wood as there are reflections and veining absolutely beautiful all the way! Then it is through!

The handle is painted in the color of the lower (black for mine!) And the varnish is really a treat even after 27 years! I who love the sleeves rather crude little or varnished, I caught the fun!

- Talking about weight! Great debate for those 80 years of low ... Unlike Aria and Ibanez period, it is very lightweight: 4.3 kg. It may seem heavy for some but I can tell you that I compared with my standard mex jazz bass (one in each hand) and Jonas is definitely lighter! So that&#39;s the point I was afraid when you buy ... Whew!

- The config: it&#39;s a low "passive" but with sound! Ugh! In fact we have two microphones "double": each can be adjusted by a dial tone. There is a master volume, balance and a microphone. What complicates matters is that we have two switches below the bridge each acting on a microphone! You can go neutral / series / parallel. Imagine the possibilities of setting!

Look for: I find it very similar to some BD Leduc period but it is only my opinion! There&#39;s also a few Wal, Aria ...
Then we like it or not, I personally have purchased the sound!

The handle is a motorway! Although the 27 frets require an adjustment period! In fact once you are on the 24th box (or 2 octaves) you have more room behind! It&#39;s quite unsettling at first. Being a fan of JB or P bass, I was used to my 21 boxes! So have a little time to adapt ... Within minutes ...

In terms of weight, nothing special, as bcp standard of our time (4.3 kg). The ergonomics are good: the bass does not sting the nose. When taken in hand, we now seem to be the "home": Everything is designed for the bassist, by a bassist! The volume controls, tone switch fall easily to hand ...

When I had mine, it was entitled to a full adjustment, cleaning, etc. ... What surprised me is that although 27 years old, I was able to adjust the trussrod without worries (yes it has cracked a little at first)! In this regard, the setting of the truss is a key of 8, not an allen wrench! But it really detail.
for access to acute: Ben with 27 frets you can imagine ...
Small problem: It is true that beyond the 27th fret it&#39;s difficult to play because the neck is above the body (key reported), so little space to move the thumb.

It is true that the handle leads through a better sustain, resonance away from Fender Standard ... Appreciated!

PS: I put the note-for-age design and especially the low quality still present today!

we enter the heart of the matter!
The sound ... Great question! We buy a musical instrument at first why not? I bought this bass after hearing the "master" to play with:

I knew J. Hellborg with albums like Elegant Punk or Abstract Logic. I also knew the series of customs at Warwick (who endorse for a while). So when I saw the ad: I have dark! I do not regret it!
The pursuit of sound: we&#39;re all here ... Have its sound, found a bass that sounds ... In short all the same! And sometimes the chance you made a sign ...

I came across this bass by accident, and in addition to a guy who lived 50 miles from home ... The coincidence some would say!

I had low: 25 I believe, some for a few days, others for longer bcp ... Not necessarily bad bass, just bass that does not fit me. For example: "Geddy Lee" super race, a real treat ... But cons: sound sucks!
I still have a P-bass, a JB in my set! And now, a bass collection!

Well yes, most manufactured, numbered (the number is on the back of the head), made by a luthier, with a passive sound crazy ...

Yes talking about her!
It took me about a day to fully understand the full range of this bass. Be said with a tone in microphone, a switch (serial-parallel-to-neutral) for micro, a balance, there&#39;s something to do! So I explore ... In fact for simple
The three positions of the switch can have a microphone with his "normal", if one goes up, the sound is more subdued, softer, versatile ... if you turn down all the way down, you unleash a powerful big sound ideal for good rock. In other words, between the neck pickup and bridge (each with its own "sound "...) There&#39;s something to do!

Basically, you play your rhythm Quiet (or neutral position of the switch up to the microphone treble). And then the drummer will have you sign to take a solo just down the micro switch of acute low: And youuuuuhhhh!
I&#39;ll spare you the details, should be 2 hours! In fact what I love about this is its low growl of her own, with a config which makes it a versatile ultra-low if necessary ...
You can spend a well "dub" (powerful but serious) to a very slamming her in 3 seconds! And all this in liabilities!

This is not to say, but this config is really great. Too bad others did not think of before ...
The only downside: There are so many possibilities of sound, you need to know exactly what you want her, otherwise, one can quickly get lost ... According to the neophyte, just find your sound and stay there ...

I love all the sounds of the bass! Each brought me a typical sound for a song (I&#39;m of the variety / times).
We can all play: Blues, funk, slap, dub, etc ... Knew her enjoying all that is percussive ...

Small clarification: unlike a lot of basses I&#39;ve owned, it gets me out of the "harmonic" I could not make it sound on the handle. Guarantee of high quality it seems?

I use it for a few days ... I can not let go so I love it.

Truly an excellent bass. The only regret: it is old, and nécssitera regular visits to the maker! But an ancient instrument that has a really charming "crazy".
I had low: P bass, Jazz, Marcus Miller, Geddy Lee, Music Man, Mayones ... In short we can say some! It is really a big favorite. I must say I am surprised to have found such low: beautiful, in style, exceptional finishing, one of his "Bachibouzouk" ...

It is a low hard to find, very few copies made, Principles located abroad (Switzerland, Belgium ...). I think we are not likely to own one in France! It&#39;s nice also to stand out from others?
The ratio Q / P: Well, for one low almost unknown, having no official listing ... Difficult to talk about? But I do not regret a single euro invested ...
Of course I would do this choice! If I would have preferred the model poouvais color "natural", but hey it&#39;s the small details ...

Images linked to this review

• photo