Digidesign 003 Rack
Digidesign 003 Rack

FireWire audio interface from Digidesign .

Publié le 03/14/09 à 16:50
The Digidesign 003 Rack is an audio interface designed for use with Pro Tools LE. It has four pre amplifiers and four other 1/4 inch inputs, as well as ADAT optical and S/PDIF connections. I have ran the 003R with a Mac Book Pro that has a 2.2 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo processor and 4 GB of RAM. Compared to the Digi 002R, it has a few extra features, like an extra headphone output and a much different look to the knobs, buttons, and overall look. I have used this to record drums, bass guitar, electric guitar, acoustic guitar, keyboards, vocals, and a number of other instruments.

Getting started with the Digi 003R was quick and easy, as the unit and Pro Tools software is pretty easy to follow and understand. I didn't have any compatibility issues with my computer and it has run smoothly for as long as I have used it. The configuration of the audio interface is easy to follow and won't take too long to figure out exactly what everything does. The manual for this is pretty complete, and is definitely helpful to have around while you are learning how to use this.

GETTING STARTED

Since this is a Digidesign product, it is design for use with Pro Tools LE, and in fact, Pro Tools LE cannot be run without this audio interface, or another made by Digidesign. I don't have any latency when I record with this and I am able to record up to sixteen tracks on this, depending on if I have external preamps and an ADAT optical unit.

I've been using the Digidesign Digi 003R for about a year and a half and have found it to be a pretty good audio interface. If I didn't need it to run Pro Tools, I would probably run it with a different audio interface, as this doesn't have as many preamps as I would like. Compared to the Digi 002R, it is pretty similar in overall make up and the difference in price for a used one of these and the 002R, is probably not worth it to buy the 003 over the 002. However, the price isn't too bad considering it comes with Pro Tools LE software. If you are looking to put together a Pro Tools LE rig, this is a good option to start with.