< Tous les avis Echo Audiofire 2

FireWire audio interface from Echo belonging to the Audiofire series

ttoine ttoine

«  Excellent price / quality ratio / her »

Published on 09/12/12 at 11:38
2 balanced inputs, 2 balanced outputs, input midi output, spdif input and a headphone jack with an adjustment knob. Cumbersome and not the top.

It works by firewire, it is not too trendy, but it is still on a lot of high-end mobile. And pci rule concern on a tower.

No preamp, and for the price, I prefer. Like that you put what you want to. Those of my Presonus Audiobox are not preventable and it is one of the things that annoys me often (console output, etc ...)

The feature that made me buy this card is that it is famous for its converters, and as I loved my Indigo I / O, I find the same kind of sound. On the other hand, sound cards and firewire pci Echo are supported under Linux in general and Ubuntu in particular so on.

I have not tested on Win or Mac, actually. But under Ubuntu, it installs FFADO, plug it configures and starts jackd. And that's all.

In ffado-mixer there any settings for the interface, and the ability to save as needed. This allows a lot of routing in case of need.

If it works with 50ms latency and no problem, it will install a kernel for Ubuntu-lowlatency if you need less. And there it is possible to work without problems with periods of 128 or 64. So no problem within 5ms. Perfect for monitoring via software, or to use a pad noon. Do not hesitate to contact me if needed.

GETTING STARTED

Nothing special to say if we have music under Ubuntu. I also know that it runs perfectly under Windows as well.

No need to manual so it's simple.

I've had a few days.

I also have a Presonus Audiobox usb, and I had spent the Echo Indigo I / O that I found the sound better, and RME Multiface I regret the sale, but was more cumbersome and less practical (and specific maps for mobile tower, etc ...)

Comparison with the Presonus is clear: the latter converters are flattering while those of the Echo Audiofire 2 are clear and precise.

Compared to the RME, I would say the bass seem a bit less pêchus, but in fact, it will be going very well: it breathes much and when you do a few hours of listening we found it .

The pre-amp headphones is also very good, it has its own flag in the output routing if desired. Compared to the Presonus which is powered by the usb was naturally much gain and dynamic, especially with a "big" type headphones Beyerdynamic 770 (250 Ohm). Compared to the RME card, same remark as before, the sound is clearer and therefore more enjoyable for prolonged listening.

This is not a card recommend to fans of electro and hip hop that will require more impactful bass, although it must be corrected with an equalizer. In contrast to the pop, acoustic, classical, or for stereo miking (concerts, choirs, etc. ...) it is very well. That's why I had the Indigo I / O before, and I found it good quality too.

And so I can choose what I put pre-amp before, if needed.