Echo Audiofire 8
Echo Audiofire 8

FireWire audio interface from Echo belonging to the Audiofire series.

vgdb vgdb
Publié le 03/18/11 à 03:32
8 inputs / 8 analog outputs, 2 with built-in preamp and phantom power. I have never used all at once.

Sampling frequencies up to 96kHz.

Card simple but very complete: 1 input / output / PDIF, word clock input / sync I've ever used.

I plug all my mics on my OMP Audio Line preamp and preamp outputs of the branch on the map.

Used with PCs running XP (old stuff, Pentium IV 3 GHz) and Vista (Core 2 Duo P7550 2.26 GHz),

Drivers are regularly updated. There was a little flutter when I purchased the card (in 2005) linked to the incompatibility of drivers with Firewire chipset on my machine. But since it is nickel. Updating Vista, then Windows Update 7 were quickly made available on the Echo Audio site, and other updates taking into account the new hardware range. Updates reliable and regular.

I use Cubase Nuendo 2.0.

I never recorded more than 5 channels at once, on my setup to prehistoric times (Pentium IV 3GHz). By paying attention to optimize the PC (no antivirus, removing unnecessary services) it works without problem. Today I'm just 2 / 3 pickups for my model guitar / vocals on the PC much more powerful ...

8 ms latency in Cubase, I'm basically the audio, I've never tried to be better than the standard installation.

GETTING STARTED

As I said above, I had some installation problems related to the availability of drivers at the very beginning (2005) and the chipset used on my machine to the Firewire bus. The first machine was not compatible with the drivers provided.
Since then, I've never asked a question. The drivers have obviously been updated, I plugged the card on my 2 PC that followed (including a laptop), everything has always worked nickel.
General configuration very easy, the virtual mixer supplied by Echo is a model of its kind, to monitor all the remarkable characteristics and routing of the card.
It's very good, near the pro (high input / output choices +4 / -10, precise control sliders, level meters reliable, a tab and a virtual console for each pair of outputs, choice of sampling with locking possible is very convenient.
The card also works fine under Windows for all standard applications (I do not use a 5.1 configuration, only the stereo so I have not tested 5.1)

I use it happily since 2005. I had previously had other cards in the hands: M-Audio Firewire Audiophile, Edirol FA101.
This card is over in terms of usability of the software driver and sound quality. It's really very good.
2 friends bought the same in smaller (Echo Audiofire 4) and are happy: excellent preamps same invoice, same driver. The last of these acquisitions was in 2010: the card is still competitive with the competition!
I would do this course choice. It seems to me that the Echo range is very well placed in money, supplied with a truly exceptional quality. Only doubt I'd give a look at Steinberg MR816X for integration with Cubase ...