or
Create an account

or

Thread USB Mic help needed!

• 6 replies
  • 4 participants
  • 0 follower
1 USB Mic help needed!
I'm looking for recommendations on a decent USB microphone for under $150. Looking through the forum, the only one mentioned has been the Blue Snowball, but that is incompatible w/ windows media center edition (which I am running). I'm looking at the MXL USB mics, the Samson USB mics and any others that might exist. Any preferences?

I'll be using it to record loud stuff like a rock band practicing, as well as quieter vocals and acoustic guitar. Just 1 mic for the whole band so its not going to sound album quality or anything, only demo-like. I just want a mic that wont overload with loud music/fuzz up, but has a USB interface.

peace
DONT WASTE TIME AND YOUR MONEY ON A USB MIC THEY ARE VERY PROBLEMATIC and work poorly for music,
eq's and compressors wont clean it up just make it stick out more,you cant really do awhole lot to make a cheap mic sound good ..and it is less enjoyable on playback and they also pic up allot of noise white noise the littlest thing in the background well be amped up enough to draw allot of attention away from the music,
save yourself from allot of BS :cool:

thats just my 2 cents

Lith
alright that seems like a good idea, but im not sure about how to connect a preamp to my laptop.

I have a mic input 1/8" jack next to a headphone input jack, but thats it. im not sure if thats the same thing as a "line-in" jack.

i also have usb and firewire ports, but your suggestion ruled out usb, and the firewire preamps ive seen are all really expensive.

and like nothing is compatible with windows media center edition
i was reading through this forum and i saw that i had the same problem except even worse i suppose. I am running windows media center edition but usb is really the ONLY method that i have on my laptop to connect a mic. i'm not sure about the other guy, but i dont need really fancy preamp setups, just a USB mic that can record good audio. for a wmce user what are the best options?
thanks
best option is alwase guna be mic and preamp.... usb mics are ok, but they can have problems with latency..

u shud have a mic input on your laptop though....
yeah u shud try to invest in windows xp home or pro sometime

but anywase.. ur mic will go into the xlr mic input on the preamp, then use the 1/4 output into your mic jack on ur laptop..( u probly need a adapter to get it into ur laptop jack)
i wudnt get a usb mic... they sound very flat, and u cant plug them into any mic pre's to add warmth..SO... u can get an audio technica at2020 mic for 100 and a ART Tube MP Microphone Preamp (Model 127) for 40 bucks.... you will have 2x the quality of a usb mic

also usb can give ALOT of latency, its a big problem with usb... so i really dont suggest them