or
Create an account

or

Thread Sound recording quality problems!!! (VEGAS PRO) HELP!!!

• 0 comment
  • 1 participant
  • 0 follower
1 Sound recording quality problems!!! (VEGAS PRO) HELP!!!
What's up everybody. I'm new to the forum and I'm glad I found it. Lots of good info.

Ok, here's my trouble:

I'm running a Korg X5D into my PC through a midiman 2x2. As far as I know, I'm all hooked up correctly.

I'm using a shareware sequencer called Jazz32 that works great. I play my music into it, sequence it all out, and when I hit play on the sequencer it sounds beautiful in my music room, all panned out and separated wonderfully, and I'm so happy.

Then, I open Sound Forge Vegas Pro (LE), a multiwave sound recorder, supposedly a good one- and I hit record. I hit play on the sequencer again, and Vegas Pro begins to record. Once the song is done, Vegas Pro builds a wave out of it and I save it somewhere.

When I hit play on it, it sounds about 33% worse than it did when it was all playing out of the sequencer in 'real time'. You would think that since I'm running directly out of the keyboard into the PC, there would be NO breakdown in quality, but there's a lot. Not to mention that once I put on my headphones and record my vocals, they come out fairly crappy too.

Now, compared to recording open air with a tape recorder, it sounds like proffessional stuff- BUT- compared to proffessional stuff, it sounds like I recorded open air with a cheap tape deck. What's up with that????

Is it Vegas Pro that's my problem?? Is it that I need 'compressors' (if so, what is a compressor???) Is it that my sound card isn't good enough?? I went to the Guitar Center with this problem, and they sold me this M-Audio thing that I'm supposed to run my mic's through, and that didn't do anything but KINDA stop the distortion in the mic's when I get too loud (but not really).

I want to be able to record my vocals and get as loud as I want without that ridiculous distortion and crackling... I want to be able to record my instrumentals and play them back and hear it exactly like it sounded when it was playing into Vegas Pro.

Can anybody tell me where I'm going wrong??? What do I need to do????