or
Create an account

or

Thread Need help choosing audio interface...

• 2 replies
  • 2 participants
  • 0 follower
1 Need help choosing audio interface...
Hi everybody,

I recently purchased a Mac Mini with 512 MB of RAM and a 1.42 GHz processor, and I'm trying to choose a USB- or Firewire-based audio interface to do some home recording with.

I've narrowed my options to the Presonus Firepod, the Firewire 410 and the Mbox 1 or 2. I've read the most positive things about the Firepod, though I would really like to have something that runs ProTools, since I've used it in the past and have half-finished PT projects that I would like to do additional work on.

I know the Firewire 410 can run ProTools M-Powered, but I've read that it has compatibility problems with Macs. And while the Mboxes also have ProTools built in, I've read about people disliking the slowness of the USB connection.

Anyway, I'd really appreciate some opinions about this. I'm a singer/songwriter who'll be recording mostly solo, though I'd like the option to expand into MIDI and/or band recording. I'm hoping to spend no more than $500 to $600 on an interface.

Thanks for any help.

Jon
I have used both the firewire 410 and presonus firepod on a iMac OSX 800/512 G4 with garage band, but I have not used the mbox. The firepod works out of the box without any drivers and the preamps are fantastic. I have heard of some problems with the 2 channel firebox. The firewire 410 has driver problems, not insurmountable, but sometimes it just does not work when the iMac wakes up from sleep and sometimes it just stops recording on a really long recording. On the other hand the firewire 410 has a software control panel that lets you control the interface from your computer. So I think it really comes down to your budget so that you can buy a good large condenser mic and an interface. Right now I am running a Luna/410/ on an iBook and a RodeNT1a/firepod/ on an iMac.
Thanks for the reply.

The Firewire 410 is looking like the best option for me, though I've also read the highest number of negative things about it. It's got MIDI capability, it's ProTools compatible, it uses Firewire and it's in the $500 price range.

I'll probably check this forum one more time before I buy the 410. So anybody out there, please let me know if you've experienced compatibility problems between the Mac Mini and the 410.