or

Thread Alto Alphamic any good?

• 13 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 0 follower
1 Alto Alphamic any good?
Hi,

I´m planning on buying myself a Tube Mic Preamp

Now I found one that fits my budget. The Alto Alphamic.

My Budget is about 100 $. Ist that device any good or should I rather
invest in a presonus tube pre?

greetings
robert
I do not trust alto gear very much. I had a friend who worked for their french distributors and he told his share of horror stories about alto gear.

You cannot expect an entry level tube pre to sound like a neve preamp. If you want a very clean preamp, I'd stay away fom tubes in this price range. The only cool thing about all those cheap tube pres (Art, Behringer, Presonus, Dbx...) is that they color the sound. So if that's what you're after go for it. If you're looking for a transparent souding pre, go solid state.
Hi,

if I would want to buy a preamp without a tube, what could you recommend there for about a 100 - 130 $ ??
In this price range M-audio has a unit called Audio Buddy. Might be exactly
what you are looking for.
M-audio mics sucks. They have very good soundcards but mics are bad.
Hi manowar,

i think you understood something wrong. I´m not looking for a mic, i´m looking for a preamp.

Rob
Hi,

what do you think about the sm pro audio SM PR4. Is it any good?

Oh, probably I should mention my other equipment. I have a Behringer B-2 pro. The Preamps I recorded with were in my Berhinger MX1604a. So it should have a better Quality than these preamps.

greetings Robert
If I were you I'd keep recording with the Behringer mixer. I don't think a mic pre in your price range will be a major improvement.
Hi,

well the problem is that the preamps broke down and it would cost at least 100$ to fix them. So I thought I just buy a seperate preamp in that pricerange. But it should have at least the quality of these preamps maybe i little bit more noise than the behringer ones.

Rob
oops i meant less noise than the behringer ones :D