Create an account

or

Thread I KNOW NOTHING!!! PLEASE HELP!!!

• 2 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 0 follower
1 I KNOW NOTHING!!! PLEASE HELP!!!
Hi everyone (and thanx in advance for those who respond),

I've always been into music and own instruments (couple of guitars and basses) and recently decided that i would like to compose on a computer (laptop) as i'm really drawn to the producing aspect of music; i also minored in music in college so have some background on writing. once i delved into doing research, i quickly became frustrated when visiting the guitarcenter's and samash's of the world! i explained i'm brand new and of course, like sharks drawn to blood, they offerred me all the high end equipment and software to purchase.

All i would like to do is lug around a laptop and compose music using a mouse or the laptop's keyboard (for now). i'm really into rock, but want options of composing all kinds of different music. also, i would like to plug my guitar in and record one day.

Here is what i've come to expect:
- I realize that hardware is really important and willing to spend some good cash on a laptop. I am looking at a high end sager 8790 (PII, 60 G hard drive at 7200, 2 gigs of RAM, etc).
- i've also got an acquaintance who is willing to sell me a used MOTU 828 MK1 for reasonably cheap.

Here is where i get frustrated
- SOFTWARE!!! what do i need to get started? i'm so afraid that the items i buy now will become intiquated or that the learning curve is too steep. I'm really drawn to Sonar 4 due to the producing aspects of the program, but what else would i need if i purchased this program?

any help would be grealy appreciated . . .

rla
Hello,

Sonar is enough to record and mix a project. If you want to expand it's possibilities you might want to purchase plugins but the good ones are very pricey. You might also want to have a wave editor wich could be convenient in some cases.
Just look at the forum, it's been written a lot about that.