Axess Electronics BS2 Buffer/Splitter

All user reviews for the Axess Electronics BS2 Buffer/Splitter

( 5/5 based on 2 reviews )
  • must have for large boards

Axess Electronics BS2 Buffer/SplitterPublished on 07/12/11 at 09:26
    This is not an effect but rather a device that helps your signal stay intact while going through multiple cables and effects.

1/4 input and outputs including a main out, split out for running to a tuner, and isolated output for running a second amp.

9v DC jack for power with an additional through jack in case you run out of outputs on your power supply.

There is also an internal boost trim pot that I found very useful.

There is also an internal boost trim pot that I found very useful.

Set up is a breeze with this device and the manual explains everything in common terms. You get your one input and then send the main signal out through your other pedals, gear, etc before hitting your amp. The isolated output can be sent to a separate amp without going through your pedal chain and the split out allows a constant feed to a tuner without actually having the tuner interfere with your signal.

I use the BS-2 at the start of my signal chain before hitting a pedal train full of pedals. Even with all true bypass pedals you will run into problems with your signal being loaded down with all the cabling and what not. This ends up killing some of the punch and high end of your sound leaving you with a dulled version of what you should be experiencing. The BS2 solves this problem. I did a quick A/B test with a small true bypass looper and easily heard the difference between having the buffer and not. I even left the LED off of the looper so that I could make an unbiased observation and was right every time. I did this test with the boost at 0 and was extremely happy with the results. After that I did end up using a bit of the boost to see if I could ditch the EQ pedal I had been using for similar reasons. The boost works great giving just a bit more kick without changing the overall tonality of my signal.

This little device is great and has allowed me to remove my Eq pedal that I was using as a boost/buffer. If axess was still in business I would easily pay full retail for one of these.
  • Axess Electronics BS2 Buffer/SplitterPublished on 12/13/08 at 22:19
    (Originally written by Doc Plus/translated from Audiofanzine FR)
    Solid-state preamp with speaker simulation.

The standard model has two parallel outputs (Main Out and Split Out) plus one isolated output. You can order a model with three isolated outputs, which can be very useful if you want to use three amps at the same time without ground loop problems.

The unit also has a phase inverter.

It requires 9-volt DC and has a low power consumption.

If you're looking for a buffer, I recommend it since it sounds very musical.

Would you like to split one signal in two to simultaneously use two amps and have a third output available for your tuner, for example?

Or......
    (Originally written by Doc Plus/translated from Audiofanzine FR)
    Solid-state preamp with speaker simulation.

The unit also has a phase inverter.

It requires 9-volt DC and has a low power consumption.

If you're looking for a buffer, I recommend it since it sounds very musical.

Or split your signal into three identical signals?

I made two buffers myself but the results weren't convincing. It's the proof that sometimes there is a huge difference between the circuit diagrams available on the web and a professional tool.

I know the BS2 is a sort of reference so I bought this one and I like its sound. Later I discovered a topic in a forum comparing the BS2 with two Masotti models, with no labeled sample files. I chose the sample I liked most and it was the BS2!

I have one for my pedal board and another one for my rack to split the signal for my two preamps. I'm fully satisfied with them. Considering the other products on the market, it's really not expensive. Instead of giving it 10/10 like many others, I prefer not to rate it.