All user reviews for the Ibanez SM7 Smash Box

Distortion from Ibanez belonging to the 7 series.

( 4.5/5 based on 21 reviews )
14 reviews
3 reviews
2 reviews
  • MGR/TomMGR/Tom

Ibanez SM7 Smash BoxPublished on 11/19/03 at 15:00
    I purchased the SM7 Smash Box from a local music store for £69.99. The reason that I got it is because I wanted a pedal that could go from 'Clean' to 'Dirty'. And that's what I got.

What I like about the SM7 is that it is really useful if you want a good drive/distortion sound out of your guitar. It's got a 'Drive' knob on it which controls how distorted the sound is. It has two frequency knobs, one for the low end and one for the high end. The low end increases the bass n the sound. The high end increases the treble in the sound. It also has a 'Level' knob which is basically a volume control. You've also got two switches aswell. A 'Void' switch and an 'Edge' switch. The void controls the feedback that you get. If you want a really distorted sound you want this off. The edge switches between a smooth or a sharp sound on your guitar. Another thing i ike is that with a few other pedals I have seen there's no LED or anything to tell you that it's on. On the SM7 it does.

One thing i don't like is that if you're playing on stage you want your amplifier really loud and the SM7 gives a massive feedback even if you have void on. You also get a sort of static effect if you play for too long.

A good pedal but what's annoying is that once you put the input in it starts to drain the 9v battery straight away. So if you get an SM7 you should get an adaptor for it to save wasting money on batteries.

Overall a good pedal for the alternative msic guitarist. A good range of sounds can be produced in combination with a good amp.
    If you like to play rock or metal. Buy This!

• MGR/Chris PollardMGR/Chris Pollard

Ibanez SM7 Smashbox

Ibanez SM7 Smash BoxPublished on 10/16/03 at 15:00
    I bought it at a local guitar shop for around $120 CDN. I had been looking for a decent distortion pedal for a while, and I fell in love with it as soon as I tried it.

The gain is amazing. It has got to be one of the heaviest-sounding distortions to come out of a pedal that I have ever heard. With the noise gate (VOID switch) on the "2" setting, it's surprisingly quiet. It handles low tunings extremely well, which is a must for any guitarist playing a step, step-and-a-half down, dropped-D. It's quite responsive at fast playing speeds, unlike some units that I've had in the past, and it is capable of great lead tones. The edge switch is useful too, taking the high-end "sizzle" off when it's on "smooth", and making the pedal downright evil when it's on "sharp". The recessing control knobs are a real plus, too. ANALOG, not digital. Get ready for the neighbors to start complaining when you buy this monster.

If you are trying to get a slightly overdriven sound, you're definately not gonna find it in this beast, at least without sacrificing the noise gate. The thing gets noisy without it. The footswitch on mine gets kinda fickle; sometimes it'll activate and sometimes it won't if you don't hit it SOFTLY enough, which gets to be a drag when you're performing and really into it and then you jump on the pedal.

The only things plastic on it are the control knobs and switches, and the button that allows acess to the battery. It's amazingly durable. I've dropped it a couple of times on asphalt and concrete, and it still works fine. I've jumped on this thing so many times during practices and performances that an effect box made out of plastic would have been completely destroyed. It's heavy enough to stay in one spot, aided by the rubber pads on the bottom of the unit, of course. In one word: it's a TANK.

I love this pedal. It's amazingly heavy-sounding, and seems made for tunings in the 1 1/2 steps down range. It sounds great for nu-metal, classic metal, or anywhere a good distortion is required.

• MGR/LeftyPunkES333MGR/LeftyPunkES333

Ibanez SM-7 Smashbox

Ibanez SM7 Smash BoxPublished on 08/01/03 at 15:00
    I heard about this little powerhouse from a column in guitar world. I bought it at Elderly Music for $45 bucks.

I love this pedal because of its raw crunch, a trademark of anything from Ibanez. I think that this is the only distortion pedal I will need for a while. Ypu can tell it was well built. You can switch between sharp melodies and smooth rythms. There is even a void.

I can't find anything about the pedal I don't like, but the instrctions it came with are bogus. DON'T USE THE SETTINGS THEY GIVE U FOR "ULTRA HEAVY" BECAUSE IT SOUNDS LIKE CRAP. Also, I would keep the level on about 4 or 5. For a good bass sound go with the 90's metal setting in the booklet. For a good high end crunch, put the low on 7, the hi on 8 and the gain on 8. However, if u like it as crunchy as I do, put the hi on 10.

This thing could survive the apocalypse. Heavy duty, don't worry about hurting it cuz u can't.

If u want a raw tone with a wide range, this is for you. I wouldn't suggest it for blues or classic rock. For that, get a tubescreamer. But, I have heard a lot of complaints about this thing wearin' down on the batteries, it actually doesn't if u take care of it. The reason why it does that is if u leave it plugged in all the time, it is using its battery all the time.. To preserve battery life unplug it when ur not using it and you'll be A-ok.

• MGR/Steve OathMGR/Steve Oath

Ibanez SM-7 Smash Box

Ibanez SM7 Smash BoxPublished on 08/01/03 at 15:00
    From Merchant city music in Glasgow. £60. The other guitarist in my band uses it as do a few people in friends' bands and it sounds ace.

The 'set and forget controls'. You can dial in your tone and click them into the body of the pedal thus ensuring you get the same sound time and time again. The noise suppressor feature is a great feature (although I also use the BOSS NS-2). I also like the fact that there's 2 types of distortion available.

I haven't had cause for complaint although one of my friends has an annoying buzz with his, but I don't get it with mine.

Extremely sturdy. Solid metal box that takes a beating.

Great pedal, excellent distortion for the discerning metal/hardcore gui…

Extremely sturdy. Solid metal box that takes a beating.

Great pedal, excellent distortion for the discerning metal/hardcore guitarist. I've just used it to record my bands new CD - great stuff!

• MGR/Pete the Broke Metal HeadMGR/Pete the Broke Metal Head

Ibanez SM7 Smash BoxPublished on 06/07/03 at 15:00
    Bought at Texas Music Emporium (Texas) for $60 (US)

Its a real Metal Petal... if you turn down the gain level, it still sounds the same!! This pedal adds gobbs of harmonics to everything, chords, harmonics, ghost bends (like crazy), any feed back, someone talking in the other room, it adds harmonics to nothing also. Good thing this noisy bastard has a decent functioning noise gate... (I still love it anyaway)

Bought at Texas Music Emporium (Texas) for $60 (US)

If you just want to make some noise this thing is great, and I'm comparing it to the infamous BOSS MT2. All that nasty piercing sound you get at low level will sound just like a 3000 dollar VHT when you turn up the volume! Its totally nuts how perfect it is at high volume. Its really almost magical.

It has a really harsh sound. Its very flat with little character. There is this piercing razor sizzle that I just could not eq out of it. No matter what you do, it will have that characteristic, digital-crap sound.(untill you turn the volume way the hell up)

This, simply put, is a metal brick. It is made eitirely out of metal of some sort. The controll pots can be clicked into the unit and out of the way, like a pen. I have never worried about it breaking. Its really fun to play with especially live.

I shudder at the though of someone trying to record with it. Serious recording musicians should not make CDs with this little toy (believe me ive heard). Play with it live, its great. Ive seen grungy punk bands and satanic death metal bands using this pedal. Remember when you buy a crazy little distortion pedal, it's going to sound like a crazy little distortion pedal.

• MGR/JeremyMGR/Jeremy

Ibanez SM7 Smashbox

Ibanez SM7 Smash BoxPublished on 02/14/03 at 15:00
    I got this from musicans friend for around $60, I needed a good distortion pedal that didnt have to pay a lot for. i also bought the power sorce for about $15

This pedal adds alot of depth to my sound.i play punk and metal and i can get a good sound for both.

It eats batteries like you wouldnt beleve. not a big problem though.

It has the weight and durability of a brick.

This is a great pedal i would recomend to anyone. but you should buy the power sorce, it will save you money in the long run.

It eats batteries like you wouldnt beleve. not a big problem though.

It has the weight and durability of a brick.

• MGR/DaveMGR/Dave

Ibanez Smash Box

Ibanez SM7 Smash BoxPublished on 01/19/03 at 15:00
    I acquired this pedel from a local music store after hearing about it from just about all of my guitar playing friends.
    They told me it had plenty of possibilities
    and they where right. This pedel can absolutly smoke the compitition .
    it rocks it rolls and it brings the house down.If you play classic rock the vines
    the hives all that stuff then you are in luck.This pedel redefins rock its more like violent bomb drooping shit to a blankit type distortion.

It is very flexable endless posibilities.
    you can rock and rock and the pedel just keeps going.

not a darn thing

Heavey build steel casing nice and durable.
    pleasing to the eye and walet.

great product awsome pedel best out th…
    They told me it had plenty of possibilities
    and they where right. This pedel can absolutly smoke the compitition .

It is very flexable endless posibilities.
    you can rock and rock and the pedel just keeps going.

not a darn thing

Heavey build steel casing nice and durable.
    pleasing to the eye and walet.

great product awsome pedel best out there.

• MGR/PunkstarMGR/Punkstar

Ibanez Smashbox

Ibanez SM7 Smash BoxPublished on 09/11/02 at 15:00
    I bought this pedal from Music Express for about $180.

It has screaming highs and rips out some tone. Gives an awesome metal and hardcore sound as well as a more punk sound which was what I was after. Extremly versatile in the range of distortion sounds I have got out of it. Not a bad clean sound either.

Sound can be a bit crunchy even when the settings are not set for it. Occasionly the sound sounds bad at high volume.

This peddle is a brick. It is awesome! It is so solid it's unbelievable. This thing takes a beating and can cause major pain if u drop it on ur foot or someone elses.

I bought this pedal from Music Express for about $180.

Absolutely excellant peddle for most music styles. Extremely durable and is good on the battery power. Well worth the money.

• MGR/AnonymousMGR/Anonymous

Ibanez Smashbox

Ibanez SM7 Smash BoxPublished on 06/13/02 at 15:00
    i bought this product at the guitar center in fairfax, virginia. it was 54.99 which is a little cheaper than some of the other heavy distortion effects such as boss mt-2 metal zone

this unit has good low end distortion, it is great bang for the buck if you are looking for a nu metal distortion, the void switch is great for palm muting, a good feature

this pedal isn't good for lighter distortion types, when u get on higher frets like 13 or 15 the sound gets kinda muddy, i thought it could be my guitar, but when i tried my friends mt-2, it wasn't as muddy.....

its all metal, rubber on the bottom to prevent sliding, but i've only had the thing a year and its already broken, so its crap, the distortion is all messed up and it didn't have a warranty so i'm pissed

its distortion is ok, but if you want something reliable, try out the mt-2 or that new boss mega distortion sounds pretty cool, so....don't buy this metal junk

• MGR/Randall SmithMGR/Randall Smith

Ibanez SM7 (Smash Box)

Ibanez SM7 Smash BoxPublished on 10/31/01 at 15:00
    got it at a local music store for $70. wanted a violent distortion pedal

balls to the wall distortion, void switch makes for fast muting, smooth and sharp pre amp settings are cool too.

not made for any kind of light distortion, if you dont use the noise gate (void switch) its noisy

looks as good as boss but the switch is goin bad on mine

its not gonna make a tube amp sound so much but it makes a solid state amp scream. if u like the boss metal zone give this a look you might like it better...i do

got it at a local music store for $70. wanted a violent distortion pedal