Vox V846 Wah-Wah Pedal
Vox V846 Wah-Wah Pedal
mooseherman mooseherman

« Great, classic Wah! »

Publié le 04/25/11 à 20:04
I recently had the option of trading in my 90s Vox Wah (which I bought new in the late 90s), in order to help purchase a V846. Sure am glad I did! While I enjoyed the 90s wah, I really can't even compare them to this one. It's got everything I'd need in a wah. On the surface, it's pretty basic. It has 1/4" connections (in and out), and simply has the rocker that clicks the effect on or off. It is powered by 9V battery which has to be installed by taking off the back cover. It's an analog pedal, and as such, can't be modified using PC or MIDI. It's not rackable.

There's few pedals that are easier to use than a wah. Simply click the effect on and rock the pedal back and forth to your liking. With a well-oiled, well maintained wah, it should be easy to go from slow, long wah sounds to quick sweeps. The setup of the pedal is really easy. There really shouldn't be any need for a manual. The only downside to this is that there isn't a power supply option, though since this is such an old pedal, you can't really blame the manufacturer.

This is one of the best-sounding wahs I've ever used. I really can't complain about anything with it. I like using it with almost all of my pedals. It's got a great response in all of the frequency ranges. I will say that it'll definitely sound better with old-school effects (basically, it'll sound better with an overdrive, played through a tube amp, than it will with death-metal distortion through a solid-state.) While it has a nice sound with single-coil pickups, I really enjoy using it with humbuckers, as they help rein in some of the harsher frequencies. Thus, with an overdrive, you can really rock out without getting too much noise or feedback. I've used it with some tremolo effects with good results too. Basically, this is one of the best wahs you can get, as it doesn't have that annoyingly harsh high end that plagues so many wahs.

Finding one of these isn't going to be cheap, but it's totally worth it. You simply won't find many (if any) wahs that are better than this one. Unless you're looking for a much more modern sound, this is pretty much the cream of the crop. I'd highly recommend this to anyone looking for a great wah sound. Most of the later imitations don't compare.