Magix Music Maker 2008 XXL

Loop Sequencer from Magix belonging to the Music Maker series.

Audiofanzine FR Audiofanzine FR
Publié le 10/13/08 à 11:12
(Originally written by libfree/translated from Audiofanzine FR)

No problems regarding installation even though it takes quite some time, but the software is also very comprehensive.

I had no incompatibility problems with Windows XP Pro.

The basic configuration is very straightforward. The sound card is immediately detected and the Asio drivers settings are very easy for those of you who own an integrated AC97-type sound card because you can set Magix to low latency 2008 getting a satisfactory latency time.

The user's manual is very short but the program includes a very comprehensive manual.

I use it with my PC:
ASUS P5LD2 motherboard
Intel dual core E6300 CPU
2 GB RAM
Realtek AC97 sound card (which I plan to upgrade for a more powerful one).
NVIDIA Ge Force 7800Gs 512 MB graphic card
SAMSUNG HD300LD HDD

The software works properly but it crashes very often. When you work with the Midi keyboard it might happen that it is not detected and you have to reset the keyboard and then restart MAGIX Music Maker. Program freezes are not rare (and it's not due to lack of RAM) and when I try to close it, the computer shuts down and restarts displaying the infamous "A serious error has been detected!" message.

Program performance is ok: It can play WAV, MP3, OGG, etc... and export WAVs. Lots of settings are provided: You can add as many virtual instruments as you wish with this XXL version corresponding to the "Producer Edition". The Magix Music Maker 2008 basic version doesn't allow you to add VST plug-ins.

You can play virtual instruments with the provided Midi keyboard and record audio signals from instruments or microphones.

It's a very good program with an especially good value for money.

But the stability is not the best yet.

I've been using it every day for nearly one year.

Pros:

It's a good software to start working with a DAW because it's easy to use and you won't need hours to get results. But the program also allows you to make a bunch of other things. It provides lots of sound settings and effects and it allows you to compose a song from A to Z with the velocity-sensitive Midi keyboard without using a single prerecorded sample. It would take me forever to describe all the features, just try it out. I must admit that I haven't used all functions yet.

Cons:

I haven't found cons.

I tried out several sequencers and of course Cubase or Ableton offer more possibilities but they don't really match beginners needs. However the recording quality is very good and it can be compared with much more expensive programs.

Thus this software has a good value for money.

If I would have to choose a new sequencer, I would buy this product again.