Epiphone Les Paul Junior Pitch Black
Epiphone Les Paul Junior Pitch Black

LP-Shaped Guitar from Epiphone belonging to the Les Paul Special Run series.

MGR/Xylum MGR/Xylum

« Gibson Les Paul Junior Special »

Published on 06/30/04 at 15:00
I bought this piece of art online in Germany for Euro 950.-- incl. a hard shell
case. My dance band gigs a lot and I have been playing a Fender Stratocaster the last years, because of the light wait advantage. The band members had been getting on my case though because of the typical Fender "high end" that I personaly love, but just doesn´t fit in for every style of music we play. The Les Paul Junior Special was one great deal and the perfect oppritunity to step in "low budget" in to the world of Gibson. Be aware that Gibson has stopped building this model as of 2002. The one I aquired was the last "new guitar" on stock in Germany (so the dealer).

This guitar does everything a versitile guitarist needs and wants. It has those modern P-100 pick-ups that can be tone controled with 2 Volume & 2 Tone control knobs. No unwanted humming on stage or in the studio, wich is important. It´s awesome sound that goes from Blue Grass over Classic Rock, clean sounding Pop or Jazz and wont take a back seat on Heavy Metal, either. The sustain is a dream. The action down low makes this the fastest guitar I have ever worked with. The neck is a slim tapperd, well formed mahogony that is predestinated for rythum as well as lead. The attractive natural wood finish makes it look sharp & sleak. Quality produkt for a down to earth low price. One great bargain I´m very happy with and would not ever want to miss again.

The strap knobs are a bit too small and with a "used" strap, the guitar will fall.
I have all my guitars/basses with a strap-
lock sytem. The Les Paul Junior Special will take you dancing, if you play it right, so do concider the strap-lock.
I guess I´m just spoiled from the Fender Strat, because the LP Jr gives me a small back ache after 2 to 3 hours of playing.
The dot inlays are also too small for that dark in dark (Rosewood/Mahagony)neck, that takes just a bit of getting used to.

This is a true Gibson USA quality produkt.
The workmanship is a piece of art. The guitar is alined and finished by hand wich makes the neck to bridge construction just perfect. It´s nicely balanced and the Tail-piece and Bridge go over "hand in hand". I haven´t broke a string yet (!) The wood finish is a real eye catcher and will not starn or scratch easily. The hardware is easily acessable and you can change the alignments with no problem at all. I even beleave, that the soft green" tuners actually glow in the dark.

This guitar will take any guitarist farther than thought possible. It allmost talks to you while playing and forces more effort and quality. It allmost plays on its own. What I personally love about this LP Jr. is that it´s basically a smaller, lighter and easier to play model of the big brothers (Standard & Classic). This light Les Paul Junior Special is a gift to any smaller guitarist that wants all the options of a heavy duty Gibson to a low cost, affordable price. This guitar offers all of the Gibson quality advantages I was looking for.