Gibson 1954 Les Paul Custom VOS
Gibson 1954 Les Paul Custom VOS
Hatsubai Hatsubai

« Crazy good P90 tone »

Publié le 07/10/11 à 19:07
1954 is probably one of the most classic and definitive years of the Les Paul, and this Custom Black Beauty pulls out all the stops in an attempt to create one of the coolest vintage replicas of all time. This guitar has a mahogany body (and I believe it doesn't have the standard maple top? I could be wrong), a mahogany neck with 22 frets, binding, ebony fretboard, trapezoid inlays, pickguard, hard tail bridge, two P90 pickups, two volumes, two tones and a three way switch.

These custom models are put together very well. The first thing you notice is that the finish itself was pretty much flawless. I couldn't find any drips or any issues where the binding meets the paint. The nut itself was cut perfectly, so there were no tuning problems to worry about. The frets on this were nicely leveled, and I was able to get some nice action going. The ends were also not sharp, so it didn't hurt your hand every time you went up and down the neck.

This guitar just reeks of vintage tone. First of all, P90s are some of my favorite pickups for those crazy vintage tones. They sound like very beefy single coils without the crazy high end going on. The bridge pickup works amazing for clean. I had one of the best clean tones going on with this thing through a Fender. I added some gain, and it was blues for days. The neck pickup had that awesome woody tone going on for it, and it just blew my mind now nicely this guitar works out for things like blues and hard tock. The middle position was pretty useless, though.

These guitars are pretty expensive, but if you can afford it, this is one of the best out there. The classic P90 tone is crazy on this. I really wish I could have taken this guitar home, but it just wasn't meant to be. Maybe down the road I'll get one...once I have an unlimited funding of money or something.