Boss DB-30 Dr. Beat
Boss DB-30 Dr. Beat

Metronome from Boss belonging to the DB series.

MGR/ShackMan MGR/ShackMan

« Boss DB-30 Metronome »

Published on 02/06/11 at 15:00
I've used this metronome in all of my years as a student as well as as a teacher. I've been playing piano seriously since I was just a little boy and bass since middle school. I'm currently not in a band...just teaching at the moment. It's palm-sized and black. More to follow in the review...

I got it because I needed a portable metronome. It was only about $30 at the time I purchased it from Volkwein's (one of the last purchases I ever made there...) back in 2002 or so. It was cheap, and the Boss Dr. Beat series has gotten plenty of well-deserved good press, so it was an easy decision.

<a href="http://www.americanmusicalsupply.com">http://www.americanmusicalsupply.com</a>

Incredibly long battery life, for one thing. I've only had to change the battery four or five times in those 8 years that I've owned it, and considering the fact that I use it daily, that's not bad at all. It'll do anything from 2/4 to 7/4 with a couple clave rhythms inbetween, and it'll play various subdivisions within that structure. It also has a little clip on the back so it can sit on your belt or on a music stand. Definitely helpful. It can also be used to give drone notes for tuning instruments or having something to tune to in exercises for string instruments. Having a headphone jack helps as well, especially for use in live performances when a song's tempo is critical.

I would like to see more polyrhythms and styles represented, and I'd like more control over what subdivisions are played, but that's something that is already represented in a higher model. So I guess I'm not really complaining with this one. I'm just ready to move on.

It's plenty sturdy, looks sleek, and plays great.

The Dr. Beat metronomes are the best drummers you'll ever play with. And you can carry them in your pocket.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qM5kJA2m-o8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>