Cakewalk UM-2G

«  Precision rendezvous »

Publié le 07/25/10 à 06:48
MIDI Interface USB 2.0.

- 2 sets of inputs - MIDI outputs
- Driver and equipment specially designed to facilitate quicker exchange of information (MIDI Technology "FTP" Roland)
- Light and beautiful finish
- Only works via USB - no AC adapter required
- Runs on Linux - and two MIDI outputs work! By turning the dial "Advanced Driver" OFF, it is recognized as a generic MIDI interface (has been tested so far with the MIDI player KMid) .

I use a netbook, the Asus EEE PC 1015 EP, as midi sequencer ultraportable. I need at least 2 sets of inputs - outputs MIDI because I know very well that all or even some arrangers groovebox already using 16 MIDI channels. The second input - MIDI output allows me to plug in the case of other keyboards and sound modules.

Before, I tried using my Motu FastLane-USB on my netbook but it clearly lacked precision - and yet it worked fine on the main computer of my home studio. Well, I know, netbooks are very limited in terms of hardware - so he had the technology I use this FTP UM-2G to compensate. And this even though I only intended this Asus for MIDI (and possibly also as an MP3 player on stage as word processing or nomadic).

Just a trick Windows XP SP2: generic drivers is called "USB Audio Device" and "USB Audio Device [2]. Not to be confused: this is indeed a MIDI interface and not a USB sound card ^ ^

Well, it is clear that using the generic drivers supplied with Windows, it works with any USB port on your computer but if you must use the "Advanced driver" comes with the UM-2G, you must connect this last (on a laptop, for example) always on the same USB port. Indeed, if you connect the MIDI interface on a different location than where it was plugged in when installing the driver, he does the longer recognize.

Perfect, I do not regret my purchase. And despite that I already have the Motu FastLane-USB I also always keep the main computer.

Pros:
- MIDI transmission ultra-fast ^ ^
- Powered from the USB port only
- Ability to put in "Midi Through" separately in sets of input - output
- Very affordable price ^ ^

Cons:
- I have not found

There is a wealth of models in competition but Roland (Edirol and Cakewalk with) is the only manufacturer offering this technology to my knowledge (July 2010).