Expert Sleepers Oomingmak
Expert Sleepers has announced the release of Oomingmak, a new plug-in for Mac OS X (AU/VST) and Windows (VST).
Oomingmak is a pitch- and envelope-tracking (re)synthesis effect. Or, to put it another way, 'if you feed a sound source (e.g. a guitar) into Oomingmak it will come out sounding like you're playing an analogue monosynth - Or maybe something else entirely," according to Expert Sleepers
Oomingmak tracks the pitch and level of the incoming audio and uses them to:
- Synthesize an original sound, using classic analogue-style waveforms and subtractive synthesis.
- Apply pitch modulation to the incoming audio, while syncing to the original waveform (the classic 'oscillator sync' effect, except that the 'oscillator' here is your audio).
The oscillator can also be synced to the incoming audio, and the tracked envelope can be used to modulate the pitch, filter cut-off and oscillator pulse-width. LFOs are also provided for further modulation possibilities.
Two ring modulators are also provided, allowing two different combinations of the above sounds to be modulated against each other.
Oomingmak tends to work best on monophonic sound sources. It was designed particularly with the guitar in mind, in which case it tends to work well on solo lines rather than chords. However, sending chords, or even non-pitched sounds (e.g. drums) through Oomingmak can also have very interesting results, ES say.
Pricing & Availability
Priced at $29, Oomingmak is available now for Mac OS X (AU/VST) and Windows (VST). Demo versions are available.
Expert Sleepers is offering $10 off any other Expert Sleepers product when purchased at the same time as Oomingmak. See the website for details.
Viewers of this article also read...
- Peace Love Productions 50 Beat This sample package contains 50 mixed beats with their corresponding layers and tracks isolated by drum instrument.
- HV Synth Design Total Brass HV Synth Design has released Total Brass, a new brass instrument plug-in that combines all HV's previously released brass instruments into one plug-in.
- Mel Bay First Jams: Dulcimer Book & CD Mel Bay Publications presents First Jams: Dulcimer - the fifth of six in a series of books designed to teach standard bluegrass jam repertoire and get musicians to play together.