B.C. Rich NJ Classic Mockingbird
B.C. Rich NJ Classic Mockingbird

Other Shape Guitar from B.C. Rich belonging to the Mockingbird series.

ericthegreat ericthegreat

« very moody sound »

Published on 11/24/11 at 21:19
I bought the B.C Rich NJ Classic Mockingbird after using a few Les Paul Standard models. I greatly preferred this “60s” neck over the larger “50s” style and new asymmetric style neck that are on other models. The “60s” neck is really pretty thick, but it is extremely comfortable. The guitar played really well right out of the box.

Very low action, with literally no buzzes anywhere. Every time I get the guitar out, I am struck by just how easy it is to play. The neck has not shifted at all in the month I’ve had the guitar, and no adjustments to the action have been necessary. With regard to sound, it is a very strong guitar. The Burstbucker III in the bridge position is quite bright, but it can be made to sound more like a Duncan 59 by rolling the tone control back to 7 or 8.

I find that I really like the brightness, as it gives the guitar a clear, ringing sound when you want it, but can easily sound darker just by adjusting the tone. Dialing the tone down does not result in the muted kind of sound I’ve had from other guitars. It just give the bridge pickup a different sound. The coil taps on both pickups work very well.

Overall, this is a wonderfully versatile guiar. I’ve played the guitar out in several different settings, ranging from a loud blues club to a quiet coffee house and it has sounded great in all of them. I've been playing the guitar through a Fender Blues Junior with a Celestion speaker in it, and a Ceriatone 50watt HRM, which is a copy of a Dumble amp. The guitar did come with a few minor flaws. The finish on the back of the neck had one small area of “fish eyeing,” which looks like tiny pits in the finish. There was also one dull smudge on the side of the body. Because the guitar played so well, I elected to keep it rather than return it and hope for one without blemishes that played as well.