Line 6 Spider IV 75
Line 6 Spider IV 75
MGR/Billy MGR/Billy

« Line 6 Spider IV 75 »

Published on 09/29/11 at 15:00
I needed a 'go to' amp that I could record demos with or take out to gigs. Reliability and price where high on my priorities, but I also needed something that sounded decent.

I read many good reviews on the older Spiders so when the new Spider IV came out I have to give it a shot. I got it for $300 with the smaller foot controller included. What's great about Line 6 is the controllers are usually interchangeable, so if you have a Line 6 chances are you can use the same pedal board.

Plenty of tones available to you, my goal which was completed was to get 4 sounds; a nice clean, a light breakup, a crunch and a heavy distortion either for leads or metal types sounds. With the manual and some boring online reading I was able to built presets pretty easily.

16 amp simulators and 20 effects you should be able to get something decent. I'm a big fan of big ol, heavy tube amps. Although the Line 6 isn't a replacement for them, it gets you in the same room without the hassle.

The CD/MP3 1/8' input jack is what makes this amp a fantastic practice tool.

The reliability knock on wood has been good for me, but I had a friend who's amp cut in and out and also I have a Line 6 POD with a similar problem, but that is the price you pay for digital.

The amp is nice and compact. The handle is sturdy. I'll guess the weight is 30 pounds?

The amp pumps 75 watts into one 12 inch Celestion speaker. This is plenty of juice for most moderate gigs.

Not a replacement for the Fender Twins and Marshalls in this world, but if budget, versatility and portability are on your mind, give this amp a whirl.