Soundiron Street Erhu
Soundiron has released Street Erhu, a phrase library for Kontakt that features thousands of traditional Chinese erhu violin phrases.
With 6GB of content, this collection covers 8 instruments in different sizes and voicing ranging from bass to treble. This library is designed to combine the realism of an authentic live performance with the control and flexibility of granular phrase sampling, the company says.
The Erhu is a traditional 2-string violin dating back to ancient China. The instrument has a small hollow snake or goat-skinned cylindrical resonating body and a long thin neck with no fingerboard. It is played upright in the performer's lap, with the bow passing between the strings rather than over them. Bow contact on the strings is never broken, giving traditional erhu a distinctly fluid playing style, Soundiron explains.
There is also a collection of live performances on busy city streets and subway stations, to use in atmospheric sound design, post production and experimental music creation. Street Erhu also features a bonus collection of ethereal and evolving ambiences, drones and pads as well as custom convolution reverb impulse files covering a number of real-world environments and effects.
Each erhu set features a variety of songs and motifs, with 24 - 36 short phrases per song. Songs can be selected and loaded using selector key-switches or the song selection menu. When a new song is selected, its phrases are dynamically mapped over the key range. There's also a built-in 40-step phrase sequencer, with multiple playback modes.
There are custom UI controls for attack and release, start offset, time-stretching, pitch shifting, legato cross-fading, bowing sfx, crescendo swelling, and volume & resonant filter LFO effects with adjustable shape, rate and synch, with automation support on all parameters. Current phrase playback and offset start positions are also displayed in the live waveform window. Each erhu can also be set into a range of customizable environments using the integrated convolution effect.
- 4,710 Samples (standard PCM wav).
- 83 .nki preset files (unlocked open format).
- 6.3 GB installed.
- 24 bit / 48kHz stereo.
- Available by Direct Download and DVD.
- Format(s): Kontakt 4.2.4, Kontakt 5.0.2 and PCM .wav.
More info at www.soundiron.com/streeterhu
The full retail version of Kontakt required to use all .nki instrument program presets included in this library. The free Kontakt "Player" does not support this library.
Viewers of this article also read...
- Arturia AudioFuse 8PRE audio interface review Just over two years ago, French manufacturer Arturia first stepped into the world of audio interfaces. More recently at NAMM 2019, the Grenoble-based company announced two new models, one of which the AudioFuse 8Pre. Has it been a successful addition to the line?
- Antelope Discrete 4 Synergy Core review About a year and a half ago, Antelope released the Discrete, a new range of Thunderbolt & USB interfaces including discrete preamps, their famous FPGA module as well as the stack of audio effects that would usually come with it. Now back in June 2019, Antelope releases a new version of its Discrete 4, this time providing dual DSP chips in addition to the FPGA. Marketing ploy or real step forward?
- The top commercial audio editing software for 2018 Four years after our first poll on the topic, few things have changed in the world of audio editors, at least according to our French readers.