Boss BD-2 Blues Driver

BD-2 Blues Driver, Overdrive pedal from Boss.

• Increase or decrease font size
  • RSS

All user reviews for the Boss BD-2 Blues Driver

Buy at Sweetwater
Fireguy840212/23/2011

Fireguy8402's review"Decent Bluesy Drive"

Boss BD-2 Blues Driver
The Boss Blues Driver (BD-2) is a typical Boss overdrive pedal. It has familiar settings, one tone knob to adjust the EQ of the pedal, one knob for overall volume, and one knob for the amount of gain. The pedal can be powered by 9 volt batter or external AC adapter. Dimensions of the pedal are Boss’s typical 2.4" x 5.1" x 2.9" and it weighs about a pound.

The Boss has the same build quality that has proven the test of time. It is a very reliable pedal and I’ve never heard any complaints in the build of the pedal or quality control. I wouldn’t worry about any Boss pedals breaking on you. It’s a very straightforward layout and the knobs seem sturdy and hold your settings well. The housing and jacks are metal and will deal with life on the road. I could have used a better EQ section than just the basic tone knob, at least a two band EQ would have been nice.

This pedal is not meant to be a super heavy sounding distortion pedal, so when I hear people complain about the amount of gain on tap it just seems silly. There is as much gain on this thing as you would expect for a pedal called a “Blues” driver. You can easily get those sustained rock leads, but there isn’t enough gain to get a saturated 80’s metal lead tone, as would be expected. The sound of this pedal does simulate the sound of a pushed tube amp fairly well (better than the Super Overdrive SD-1 from Boss), but it is a little sterile sounding when compared to a boutique pedal like the OCD from Fulltone for example. An added high and low EQ selection would be nice, but this pedal holds it own for those dirty rhythm and lead tones especially so with a Stratocaster or Telecaster into a tube amp.

Overall this pedal would be a good pedal in the 50US dollars market, but for 100US dollars there are better options out there. I prefer it to the similar priced Ibanez Tubescreamer, but once again I feel that pedal is overpriced for what it does. I like the Digitech Bad Monkey because it splits the tone into two separate knobs, allowing for more tweaking and it runs around half the price, but I do feel the BD-2 responds to picking attack slightly better (not 50 dollars better IMO). I also think the Danelectro TOD is way beyond this offering from Boss for half the money. Overall I feel my money would be better spent on an OCD in this price range, or with the Dano TOD if budget is a factor.
ericthegreat11/24/2011

ericthegreat's review"very good pedal"

Boss BD-2 Blues Driver
The sound quality of the Boss BD-2 Blues Driver is fantastic if you are trying to slam the front of your overdriven amp. It will do that 80's tone in spades. So my use was normally just as a simple booster to get the amp sizzling even more. Made jamming really much more pleasurable. It was warm and somewhat smooth but I would call is a bit sleazy. This is a pedal you don't take home to mom....it is a pedal that you told tell your parents about but show off to your friends for high fives if that makes sense. It gives you that pissed off Marshall tone that you hear on so many records from the 80's hard rock glam metal genre.

I used it with my Les Paul and Strat style guitar in front of an 80's JCM 800 and Splawn QR. It was more fun to use in front of the 800 than the Splawn since the Splawn already does this sound naturally. If you can get a decent quality JCM 800 fro around $700 and this pedal you have that modded Marshall tone without spending $700 fro some dude to hack up your amp.

Beware though you will need a noise gate because this thing burns the front end of your amp so heavily that it creates a lot of noise. not a bad thing just the normality or operating in this setting. It gets really angry and actually very fun to play some old VH or Ratt riffs with this setup.

Extremely easy to use and no need of a manual. However, Keeley does include a manual for his 5 start tone stack which what he calls his mod to this pedal. Plus this unit came with an additional chip inside that change the clipping and tone as well. Not sure the name for it...I think it was called the brown chip or something. I never really flipped in and out the chips but once to test...found the one I liked and used that exclusively.
iamqman06/29/2011

iamqman's review"Better if modded"

Boss BD-2 Blues Driver
This pedal has chance to be great but in its stock form it doesn't live up to a SD-1 or and OD-2. It carries the name for blues but it is not restricted to only blues tones. It is a pretty simple overdrive pedal with subtle gain and not much else going for it. It comes off sort of shrill sounding and very thin. It doesn't have a tone that says play me by any means. At best in its stock form it is used as a clean boost into a heavy gain amp. That is pretty much all your going to be able to use this in.

Like most Boss pedal it is not true bypass so that is something that you would probably want to have modded. It isn't a main OD so you will most likely use in in context unless you only have the one pedal. So I recommend getting the true bypass mod done to it.

The connection is simple as it takes a 9v plug. The great thing it has going for it is, Boss made it and it is pretty much built to last. Other than that your going to have to change out some parts. They claim it sounds like a vintage overdriven amp, but come on...it sounds like a garbage cans in a pedal that shreaks and registers high ear piercing tone if you can call it tone.

It doesn't get much easier than a three knob pedal. Gain, Level, and Tone and there isn't much to figure out. Setting this thing up for a good sound can be very difficult since it won't sound good. However, it is easy to twist three controls in an attempt to get some usage out of it.

Let me say this though....if you get this thing modded by Keeley or Analogman then you will have a very usable pedal. I have heard a modded one and it actually did sound amazing. It felt warm and smooth much more natural like a real amp cranked up. It leveled out the highs and smoothed the midrange to compliment the lower end which made dialing in a solid creamy overdrive much more tastier.

I used a Strat with the pedal into a Vox Ac30 and also a Sovtek 50 head. The sound with the Sovtek was amazing! It was the first time I had heard this pedal and amp so I wasn't sure which one was the keeper. Found out the pedal was modified and the Sovtek was stock. It had a huge overdrive going into a fairly clean with just a hint of grit in the Sovtek. I went to check about getting one modded and it wasn't too much money to buy one new modified. They come in around $200.

By it self it come in around $90 but modded you are almost going to double that if you by new modified. I suggest you get one used and then send it out. But then I would suggest you just buy a TS9 or an OCD. If you need a good clean boost then this is a proper pedal for that, but if I personally had the choice I'd go for an SD-1.

Get this thing modified! I cannot stress this enough. You want to use a pedal that feels and sounds natural. It may cost a little bit extra but if you need a slight OD pedal that is silky smooth and reacts naturally to your guitar amp then send it to Keeley or Analogman.

I would recommend this pedal only if it had the mods. Otherwise it is pretty useless out of the box. It does sound fantastic once repaired. So if you had extra time and some extra cash try it out and if you don't like it I would go for the TS9 which would be a similar taste to this pedal.
Hatsubai04/07/2011

Hatsubai's review"The lesser known OD"

Boss BD-2 Blues Driver
The Boss BD-2 is an attempt at getting that pushed overdriven sound in a stompbox. It has this almost overdrive Marshall-esque quality to it. It's basically a mixture of an overdrive and a distortion box, almost like a mixture between the TS-9 and the DS-1. Like most Boss overdrive pedals, it features a level, gain and tone knob.

Boss is using their standard enclosure with this pedal. That means it'll withstand a nuclear bomb drop without much of a problem. These enclosures are crazy reliable. It's still using the FET bypass, but it doesn't seem to leak quite as much as the SD-1 does. The manual does a nice job at describing what everything does and gives you some settings, but it's an easy enough pedal to use to where you should be able to get a good tone within about 20 seconds without having used the pedal before.

The sound is very similar to a more milder tubescreamer mixed with a DS-1 at times. It has enough bite to send an amp into overdrive and play some 80s metal, but it also is calm enough to be able to do some awesome blues licks. In front of a Marshall, you can get a wide range of tones ranging from VH-style to Eric Johnson/SRV.

I find it interesting that this pedal isn't as popular as it is. It's a fairly overlooked pedal, and it goes real cheap on the used market. I can only assume it's because it doesn't push the amp quite as much as the SD-1 does. On the other hand, I find it sounds a bit more "natural" than the SD-1 for whatever reason. It seems to complement the amp a bit more. However, since I'm mainly a metal player, I tend to prefer the SD-1 to really push the amp into overdrive for those crazy legato licks. Regardless, if you're looking for a different kind of overdrive that's a bit more tame than the SD-1, I'd recommend checking this out.
iamqman03/18/2011

iamqman's review"NOT MUCH TO IT"

Boss BD-2 Blues Driver

Hitting metal garbage cans against a dumpster would sound better than this pedal. I would rather record that on a guitar amp than stick my cable through this thing. I think this is Boss's attempt to capitalize on the blues market by offering an OD pedal that simply says "blues..." on it. They have had many people buy into it.

moosers02/22/2009

moosers's review

Boss BD-2 Blues Driver
The Boss BD-2 Blues Driver is an overdrive guitar pedal. It is an analog pedal and has a 1/4 inch input and output. It takes a 9 volt battery or can be powered by the Boss TU-2 tuner pedal if you have the power supply and daisy chain. It is not a rackable unit and as it is a stomp box.

The general configuration and set of the BD-2 couldn't be easier. It has three knobs - one for level, one for tone, and one for gain. After a few minutes of playing around with this, you should be able to figure out what everything does exactly and get a quick good sound from it. It is easy to get a light, subtle overdrive or to get a nice thick tone. I don't have a manual for this, but like most Boss manuals, it is probably pretty thorough. This being said, the pedal is easy to figure out and most probably won't need a manual.

The Boss BD-2 has a really nice tone quality to it and is usable for other genres besides blues. I have only use this with guitar and I probably wouldn't recommend it for use with any other instrument, although it would work fine. I just think the specific tone this has it probably best with guitar. It is great for playing blues lead lines and also works great as an all around rhythm guitar overdrive.

I've been using the Boss BD-2 for about four or five years. While I don't use it all the time, when I am looking for a specific type of overdrive, this can work like a charm. Boss has a reputation for make quality products, and this pedal definitley fits that bill. It would be hard to break and has a great overall tone quality. The price, like most Boss pedals like this one, is quite cheap and players on all budgets could probably afford one of they wanted it. If you play blues and are looking for an overdrive that isn't too heavy, I definitley recommend taking a look at this.
phraseland12/11/2008

phraseland's review

Boss BD-2 Blues Driver
Well this is a very basic distortion pedal by Boss. You get to adjust Gain, Level and Tone - the whole unit is built into the famous Boss casing - nearly indestructible.
The Bluesdriver is powered by a 9V Battery or an external power adaptor (not included).

Setting this effect up is quite simple. I usually put it right in the beginning of my chain - right after the Tube Screamer. Once you have it hooked up just dial in the tone you want and make sure that the volume doesn't drop when switching. Of course different gain settings give you different sounds - just trust your ears.
I don't think a manual is needed - maybe a piece of paper to jot down your own presets.

I really like the Bluesdriver. I have read on other reviews that they thought it was a bit too bassy and didn't have enough punch. I can see how people can feel that way and it really is a matter of taste. I use an old Fender Twin and run my Stratocaster through it. As these guitars don't have a lot of low mids by themselves this pedal complements my sound quite nicely. When I want crunch I switch on my Tube Screamer. Only occasionally do I use the Bluesdriver as a first overdrive - there I don't like the sound too much. But when I want a nice lead tone with endless sustain I switch on the Bluesdriver and together with the Tubescreamer it delivers just that. I also like that both have rather big pedals as it allows me to step on both of them at once during a gig.

I have been using the Bluesdriver for about two years now. I think eventually I will update it with an effect by T-Rex. They just sound better - period. I do think the Bluesdriver is not for everyone and even I wouldn't use it as a single pedal very often. But together with my Tubescreamer (or a similar pedal) it really gives my signal a very nice, creamy sound that can hold notes for hours!
Audiofanzine FR11/06/2008

Audiofanzine FR's review

Boss BD-2 Blues Driver
(Originally written by Dlz/translated from Audiofanzine FR)

Boss pedal with standard PSU.
Only three controls (vol. - gain - tone), no bass boost or switch for the modulation.

With only three controls, it's plug and play.
The controls bring a certain versatility but the sound quality decreases with extreme settings.
An overdrive pedal is often used as pre-boost for a distortion but the result with this pedal is not convincing.

The sound is ok with basic settings but its quality rapidly decreases when the gain increases. The last turns of the gain knob produce a mushy sound...
You'll hardly be able to use the unit as a pre-booster because its frequency response is less than ideal. I chose this pedal because I was very happy with my SD-1 as a pre-boost effect and I hoped to get the same quality but with a fatter sound.
The sound is fat indeed but I regret its poor definition, precision and overall quality.
While the SD-1's frequency response isn't totally flat (it has a slight boost in the mids), the DB-2's frequency response actually alters the sound. Therefore its use as a booster is very disappointing, specially if you consider that the SD-1 is a lot cheaper.

It's probably not a good idea to purchase a BD-2 if you already own an SD-1. Its fat sound can be interesting for some applications but the good old SD-1 seems a better choice to me.
MGR/fenelon10/14/2004

MGR/fenelon's review"Boss BD-2 Blues Driver"

Boss BD-2 Blues Driver
Purchased at Kayes Music Scene, Canoga Park, CA for $79.99.
After consulting with numerous fellow musicians on the best and worst of overdrives. Weighing out the money factors against quality factors and playing with the 2 finalist I settled on the Boss BD2.

The pure quality of tone I get with the equipment I use was the deciding factor. The price being twenty dollars less than my next option wasn't bad either. The contagious tone from the BD2 is round, expressive, smooth, and sultry. The controls make it easy to dial-up that sound you've been hearing in the back of your head.

Nothing, it's just what I wanted.

Brawn and beauty combined--it's built to last with aesthetics to boot.

I would get it again in an instant. Great tone and durability at a great price!

MGR/Tim B.08/18/2004

MGR/Tim B.'s review"Boss BD-2 Blues Driver"

Boss BD-2 Blues Driver
I bought this pedal from Sam Ash for $80 and it was worth every penny!

This pedal is so versatile! It blows me away how sensative the knobs are! The slightest twist of a tone or overdrive knob brings about a totally new sound! I could easily gig with just this pedal and have a great amount of versatility. You can go anywhere from the slightest overdrive to a nice, tube amp overdriven tone, to a heavy, loud, grunge overdrive that sounds so impressive. Although the name implies "Blues", you could easily use this pedal for anything from jazz to Rock. I like the color too. and of course, the Boss name guarantees that this thing will outlast me!

There is only one thing about this pedal that could pose a problem - it sucks up 9V batteries like there's no tomorrow! This problem doesn't affect me, however, because I also have the Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner and I plug that into the wall with an adapter and then attach my other pedals to my tuner with a daisy chain. So, because I don't use batteries, this doesn't pose a problem for me. I would highly suggest getting the adapter for this pedal, though, because it does use up the battery power pretty quickly. That's my only gripe, even though it doesn't affect me.

What can I say besides, "It's a Boss!" That says plenty on it's own. This pedal is solid metal construction and is made to outlast the owner. I'll probably be selling this thing on ebay on my bed and it'll be as good as new, due to the infamous Boss quality! :)

For anything from Jazz to Blues to Rock, this is the pedal for you! Get it! (But get the adapter too!)